Primary air channels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Is it necessary to remove the primary air channel cover every so often and vacuum out the passage? On my stove, it is at the very front bottom. Very often, I will rake the coals to the front of the stove before re-loading, and got to wondering if eventually, some of that fine powder/ash will make its way into the air inlets and restrict the flow. Does anyone periodically remove the cover and clean theirs out? Thanks.

I have the same intake location on the Defiant stove. I have begun running a wire hook in that area when I can to remove the buildup. The stove will choke at that spot as the ash builds. I have used compressed air to blow out the channel, and also when the stove is cold, used a vac to clean there. My stove had a build up of fine ash in places that ash could only fly to, so I would make the effort to clean that channel for sure.

We have the doghouse/zipper/center air inlet as well. I've found a way to clean it out using the stove's own draft:

1) Bypass the catalyst
2) Open center inlet all the way
3) Manually clear away most of the debris in front of the inlet
4) Close the other primary air inlets
5) Crack the door open until a good strong draft is going
6) Quickly close and reopen the door a little.
7) Jets of ash will be sucked into the stove from the air inlet.
8) Go to step 6 until no more ash is being drawn into the stove.

By closing the other primary vents, most of the air entering the stove will be forced to go through the center inlet when the door is closed. I'm sure compressed air or a vacuum would do a better job, but this seems to clean it out well enough during the heating season.

If you find that too much air is entering the stove via the center inlet, even when fully closed, (when trying to achieve a low heat burn for example), simply pack some ash into it.

I believe most of them clean themselves as the air is draw in. Stoves like the Jotul 400 & 500 may get a bit of ash in there but not enough to stop air from coming in, just enough so you can feel it when you slide the air control....

Status
Not open for further replies.