Primary air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
I just had my longest overnight burn of 6 hours and the load is still going maybe 1 hour more at least and it surprised me. I have been getting 4 or maybe 5 hours overnight with just enough hots in morning to start a new load. I turned down my primary air to maybe 15% usually I have been turning down to 25%.

The type of load was different also I used all rounds maybe 4 inchers no splits on a good bed of hots. I have a lot of smaller rounds from the smaller branches that I did not split. The rounds tend to burn different from the splits in that I do not get a bigger fire or as hot from like I get from the splits. Also, with splits at 25% air overnight I get a lot dirtier glass in morning if I try to go any lower. This load this morning my glass is not bad at all.

Being my second season of burning I just wanted to know if this sounds right I guess you could call it tweaking my stove. Next year hope to get cat stove will see. I imagine cat owners must think its funny getting excited about 6 or 7 hour burn times on a load.

I had just the opposite experience. Yesterday put in a load of small rounds and the thing cruised right on the edge of critical mass for about 2 hours before it cooled to normal temps. However, I did load them n/s which for some reason makes a big difference in my stove.

Yeah I have found e/w works best for me. n/s seems to burn much quicker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.