primary or secondary heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heating oil is 2.90/gallon here currently. Complete ripoff since Diesel at the pump is 2.44/gallon and heating fuel is supposedly "tax exempt".

Reactions: Mikey pellet guy
Heating oil is 2.90/gallon here currently. Complete ripoff since Diesel at the pump is 2.44/gallon and heating fuel is supposedly "tax exempt".
there are some reasons.
First, the diesel fuel has a different standard with regard to sulfur content allowed by EPA standards.
fuel oil can have 500ppm, while diesel can only have 15ppm.
So it actually does cost more to produce it.
Second, when you get a delivery to your house the word "delivered" is the operative.
There is a company doing business with trucks and buildings "delivering" it to your door
whenever you need it...
Your local Cumberland farms does not deliver your diesel to your car at your house.

Dan

Reactions: bogieb
I just checked and fuel oil in my area is $1.94 a gallon, up 10 cents in the last two weeks. I probably oughta buy 100 gallons just because :cool:

Primary for me
Eclectic baseboard for back up

x2

My rooms have individual thermostats and I leave em all on 55 degrees "just in case." They never kick on with the pellet stove running.

I think it's good to have a backup source in case your stove goes down when it's below zero. Had that happen last year (power outage) and it got REALLY cold in here.

This year we are prepared with a primary stove, secondary baseboard, emergency kerosene heater, and inverter/generator for power outage.

Yeah, I called around and found a different supplier selling about 70 cents cheaper than the main supplier for the area.....and that included delivery. Like I said, I charging higher than on the road diesel is just greedy and pretty messed up imo

You can't buy stove oil here, only low sulfur diesel, it's been like that for about twenty years.
I had an old Fordson tractor that burned stove oil or kerosene, but not diesel. I could get stove oil for it at an oil company who had it in 55 gallon drums but would pump it into my containers for the tractor. Eventually, they quit handling stove oil and I was forced to buy more expensive kerosene for the tractor.

That said, I bought red dye (untaxed) diesel for my furnace for $1.68/gallon this year.

You can't buy stove oil here, only low sulfur diesel, it's been like that for about twenty years.
I had an old Fordson tractor that burned stove oil or kerosene, but not diesel. I could get stove oil for it at an oil company who had it in 55 gallon drums but would pump it into my containers for the tractor. Eventually, they quit handling stove oil and I was forced to buy more expensive kerosene for the tractor.

That said, I bought red dye (untaxed) diesel for my furnace for $1.68/gallon this year.

Cant you just run the injector lube additive in the dyed diesel for the tractor?

We just built our house and put in a good sized wood stove in the main area, intending to use it as a primary source. We stuck to as much of the house, other than the bedrooms, being open and the same ceiling height to capitalize on the stove's heat process. We have a central heat and air unit and the heat side of that is propane, which we use as a secondary source. Right now, we primarily use the stove in the evenings and on weekends and kick on the heater just to take the chill off in the mornings getting ready for school/work.

Reactions: karen_in_nh_2014
Cant you just run the injector lube additive in the dyed diesel for the tractor?

The tractor wasn't a diesel, it had a carburetter, you started it on gasoline and when the pre-heater on the exhaust manifold warmed up, you switched it to kerosene. It had a Fairbanks-Morse magneto ignition that fired four Model T spark plugs. The head had "LOW COMPRESSION" cast into it.

I bought it from the original owner, who purchased it new in 1939 and kept it in running condition for 65 years. He told me to use stove oil because it had better lubricating properties than kerosene and was good for the valves. He said that diesel would coke up the pre-heater.

I bought it to install a septic system and bury electrical cable to my, then new, house and sold it to a guy who restores old tractors, so it went to a good home.

The tractor wasn't a diesel, it had a carburetter, you started it on gasoline and when the pre-heater on the exhaust manifold warmed up, you switched it to kerosene. It had a Fairbanks-Morse magneto ignition that fired four Model T spark plugs. The head had "LOW COMPRESSION" cast into it.

I bought it from the original owner, who purchased it new in 1939 and kept it in running condition for 65 years. He told me to use stove oil because it had better lubricating properties than kerosene and was good for the valves. He said that diesel would coke up the pre-heater.

I bought it to install a septic system and bury electrical cable to my, then new, house and sold it to a guy who restores old tractors, so it went to a good home.

very cool, pretty wild to see the machines that have been developed and used in the past.

Secondary heat source for 2 reasons
1) It heats us out of house and home. We will run the woodstove when its about 10 or less outside.
2) House is a tri-level, woodstove on lower floor, basement is below that. If we run the woodstove for more than 2 days or so the basement gets down into the 30's. Am concerned with freezing pipes inside house. Have to run a small space heater to keep it in the 40's. Also makes it uncomfortable to use bedroom in basement.

I have an all Electric country home. 2 story open floor plan. Installed pellet stove to keep down the electric bill. Which last year was upwards of $400 a month. My wife like heat and cranked the baseboards up high and we have like 7 in the house. So yes bill was high. Now I'm running about $200 using the stove as primary heat. Yea I get heated out of the house most of the time but the bill is low and I'm good with that.
Here's an example vs last year I just got this bill and shows usage
20161227_174240.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Primary source here with oil as my secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.