Primary Secondary Zoned with Circulators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groch

May 1, 2008
Maine
I would like to install a TARM SP30 in a primary loop configuration. The current install is HW BB zoned with 4 Circulators, 3 Heat, 1 DHW controlled with an ARGO ARM842. My question is what control is needed to operate the Oil Boiler Circ, when one or more of the zones is active. My first thought was connect the boiler Circ. to the Burner control, but the burner cycles. The TARM boiler Circ operates anytime the its above a threshold temp, 140?

I have attached my layout for public comment.
Thanks

Attachments

• heatplan1a.jpg
    heatplan1a.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 344
Your current control should have what's called an "end switch." That's what tells the boiler to heat up because there is a zone calling.

What you essentially need to do is to take that signal and direct it to one boiler (and circulator) or the other. You use an aquastat on the wood boiler to do that. If the wood boiler is warm, then it sends the signal to the wood boiler's circulator. If the wood boiler is too cold, then the signal goes to the oil boiler, just like it currently does.

Depending on your setup, you may need to add a relay of some sort to isolate the 110V circulator power, if the end switch operation is currently based on 24V.

Joe

Thanks. I will investigate the current control system further to see what signals and states are available during the heat cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.