Prime goal is not saving $$, but ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
We just got our fuel analysis from the gas company for the period Dec. 18 - Jan. 20, 2011 versus Dec. 20 - Jan. 19, 2012.

Subtracting the amount "saved" due to three fewer days in the billing cycle and factoring in the average daily temp (33.9 in 2011 vs. 37.5 in 2012), we still saved approx. 46% on our heating bill compared to this time last year. Our insert was installed and fired up on Dec. 6, 2012 (umm, bonehead moment: try 2011. Sheesh).

I acknowledge some slipperiness in these stats. We heat hot water and cook with gas, for example, and still use the gas furnace when the Regency is not in use. And there are some aspects of the gas company's calculations that don't look super-accurate to me, but I like the general trend.

And yes, I know that trying to amortize the full cost of the stove and its fuel requires a very long view, but as the title says, that wasn't our primary goal. Alternate heat during power failures, ability to use a crappy, shallow fireplace without air conditioning our house [g], and the aesthetics, were all higher on our list, so any displaced gas use is just gravy.

-dan

how do the temps compare to last year at this time.....my brother, on the west side of pitsfield ma tells me they are a lot warmer this year and he as only gone through a fraction of his normal useage. just another item to consider....but aint it great.

cass

Cass,

The gas company factors in the average daily temperature, and to use their verbiage from the comparison chart, "Weather was not a major factor."

Note what I wrote above: Subtracting the amount “saved†due to three fewer days in the billing cycle and factoring in the average daily temp (33.9 in 2011 vs. 37.5 in 2012), we still saved approx. 46% on our heating bill compared to this time last year. Our insert was installed and fired up on Dec. 6, 2012.

Here's more details:

For the period Dec. 18 - Jan. 20, 2011: 34 days, used 159 "therms" of gas, avg. temp 33.9.

For the period versus Dec. 20 - Jan. 19, 2012: 31 days, used 106 "therms" of gas, avg. temp 37.5.

-dan

DanH said:
We just got our fuel analysis from the gas company for the period Dec. 18 - Jan. 20, 2011 versus Dec. 20 - Jan. 19, 2012.

Subtracting the amount "saved" due to three fewer days in the billing cycle and factoring in the average daily temp (33.9 in 2011 vs. 37.5 in 2012), we still saved approx. 46% on our heating bill compared to this time last year. Our insert was installed and fired up on Dec. 6, 2012.

I acknowledge some slipperiness in these stats. We heat hot water and cook with gas, for example, and still use the gas furnace when the Regency is not in use. And there are some aspects of the gas company's calculations that don't look super-accurate to me, but I like the general trend.

And yes, I know that trying to amortize the full cost of the stove and its fuel requires a very long view, but as the title says, that wasn't our primary goal. Alternate heat during power failures, ability to use a crappy, shallow fireplace without air conditioning our house [g], and the aesthetics, were all higher on our list, so any displaced gas use is just gravy.

-dan

Gotta love the Gravy!!

Sounds like you've got a pretty reasonable heating/gas bill prior to installing the stove.

If you were paying $3.80 for oil with the promise of nothing but increases for the future the "gravy" would be even better.

Glad it's working out for you on the Cape! Go Pats!!

@Steve:

Thanks. It's a fairly small house so yes, we make out OK on heating costs. But the gravy tastes great [g].

If during non-stove season you see a blue BMW F800ST going by on its way to NH, be sure to wave. ;-)

-dan

DanH said:
@Steve:

Thanks. It's a fairly small house so yes, we make out OK on heating costs. But the gravy tastes great [g].

If during non-stove season you see a blue BMW F800ST going by on its way to NH, be sure to wave. ;-)

-dan

you must have saved more than you calculated.....enjoy the gravy for sure

I neighbor with roughly the same size house as mine is on a $300/month propane budget.. we pay squat and get our own wood.. thats the gravy!!!

[quote author="DanH" date="1327352075"]We just got our fuel analysis from the gas company for the period Dec. 18 - Jan. 20, 2011 versus Dec. 20 - Jan. 19, 2012.

Subtracting the amount "saved" due to three fewer days in the billing cycle and factoring in the average daily temp (33.9 in 2011 vs. 37.5 in 2012), we still saved approx. 46% on our heating bill compared to this time last year. Our insert was installed and fired up on Dec. 6, 2012.

-dan[/quote

Some wag had to point out the date so I figured it may as well be me. Just looks a bit odd. :)

Ouch! Back to the future. I thought that the classic move was supposed to be putting last year on checks, not post-dating my first fire [grin].

-dan

Don't worry Dan, it all works out in the end. :lol:

Well, the gas company keeps sending us these insulting "you are less efficient than your neighbors" letters. I checked, and all our neighbors got them too, so these phantom efficient neighbors must live in Florida, or Saudi Arabia.

Compared to this period last year, we used 31% less fuel and saved more than $70 ($125 versus $200 for Jan 21 - Feb 16). Less efficient my aching posterior.

I wonder what the gas company (National Gridiot) gets out of spreading this misinformation? They enclose "helpful hints" such as turning our thermostat down to 68. We would of course have to turn it UP to 68 even when not burning the woodstove because it's programmed at 66. And with the insert fired up the thermostat never kicks on anyway, with its thermometer showing 69-72 degrees in the hallway. Maybe the gas company gets "credit" from state regulators for encouraging efficiency? Hah.

-dan

Hey Dan, welcome from another Cape Codder-I am in Yarmouth.

I heat entirely with wood. Save a fortune.

You must be that phantom neighbor [grin]. I lived in Yarmouth for more than 20 years, in Hah-wich now. If you are up for showing off your setup I'd be interested.

-dan

I was efficient before my Enerzone was installed...usually top 30 percent, but we were COLD! We kept the house at 66 during the day and 58 to 64 at night.

Now we are much warmer 80 to 66 depending on which room and what day and what time of day and are using half of the total energy compared to the top 20%. We didn't recieve a ranking this year, but last winter (our first with the Enerzone) we were between 2nd and 5th out of 100 homes our size in our area. And we have 3 kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.