Primer for Propane Tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for suggestions for a brand primer to used on propane tank (that has been converted to hw storage)? The tanks have some rust/pitting and I was planning on wire brush with a grinder, then using some rust converter (metal ready), but I need some help on choosing a primer to use.

Any one have some experience with painting there own tanks and success stories (say after three years they are still looking good etc.)

Also is it worth the expense of sand blasting instead of wire brush on a grinder?

Was toying with the idea of buying rustbullet paint, but that is expensive, and is that worth the expense?

I think I am over analyzing, and should probaly just primer with some rustoleum, but want some opinions.

blackdoglabrador said:
I am looking for suggestions for a brand primer to used on propane tank (that has been converted to hw storage)? The tanks have some rust/pitting and I was planning on wire brush with a grinder, then using some rust converter (metal ready), but I need some help on choosing a primer to use.

Any one have some experience with painting there own tanks and success stories (say after three years they are still looking good etc.)

Also is it worth the expense of sand blasting instead of wire brush on a grinder?

Was toying with the idea of buying rustbullet paint, but that is expensive, and is that worth the expense?

I think I am over analyzing, and should probaly just primer with some rustoleum, but want some opinions.

Rust is formed when oxygen dissolved in water reacts with iron to form iron hydroxides and oxides.

When you take away the oxygen, as with inside a sealed hydronic system, then no rust.

When you take away the water, as with abandoned mining equipment in the high desert, or with a hot water storage tank that is sealed off from the weather and is kept decidedly above the dew point for the entirety of its service life, then no rust.

So you can sandblast or not, use epoxy primer or not, or paint them or not, and in all cases you will be successful in preventing rust as long as you maintain a dry exterior environment for your tanks.

--ewd

blackdoglabrador said:

Rust converter & Rustloeum should do fine. I had gotten a deal on some quarts of Hammerite paint & used this. I would sand/grind instead of wire brushing as you will get a better bond surface instead of polishing it with a wire wheel. Flap wheels work real nice too, get one coarse enough, around 60 grit to 40 grit. Sandblasting is nice if it won't cost a fortune, Randy

I used a sanding disc on a grinder to take all the paint and rust off. I then spray primed and painted with tractor paint from TSC. I called a paint company representative who said this paint should stand up to the tank temperatures needed. I've yet to fill the tank so I have no idea if this will indeed be the case. The sanding and painting went well though.

Mike

I'm wondering, why bother? Clean the tank inside. Fill and use a boiler cleaning or pre-treatment mix, heat and run for a few hours. Drain, fill, treat with boiler chemical mix, and use. Test annually or after a longer period if you choose. The outside of the tank you want to insulate, so why do anything with that? It'll all be covered up. This is the third season with my tank, water tests AOK, tank is boxed and insulated. I barely know I have it, except that I only have to fire the boiler every other day and the tank supplies the heat between times. Life is good - take time to enjoy it.

I primed mine with rustolium becouse I had a sevear case of rusty affraidism.

Status
Not open for further replies.