Prince 5200 valve leaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

igibson27

Jul 19, 2014
I have a new to me log splitter with a two spool directional Prince valve on in. It's leaking fluid on the spring to center valve out of a hole on the rear face of the housing, under the end cap. I guess the hole is for a pressure release detent option, it's an unobstructed passage into the B work port so would be recieving full pressure with nothing to seal it aside from the retaining plate and centering spring.
This was a home built log splitter that was never fully assembled before I bought it, the previous owners had plumbed the hydraulics incorretly using the power beyond port as the return, I was not aware of this until I got it running and found the the valve to be leaking. This was a brand new valve and the parts breakdown has no mention of this hole. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I finally took the end cap off the pressure release detent valve and there is no hole on that valve section, the caps were either swapped by the previous owner or came from the factory that way, they didn't look tampered with. Weird haha

From the breakdown it doesn't look like there is a matching hole on the cap, but it DOES have an o-ring for the hole. Is that in place (part 26 on the same page).

Status
Not open for further replies.