Princess on monday 11-17

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fattyfat1

Nov 8, 2008
SW WASHINGTON
It's finally gonna happen. after hours of research, indescisiveness, more reading, and even more reading, shopping an entire 350 mi. radius from N. seattle WA to S. portland OR, I pulled the trigger for 3,362$ installed including tax.
2,300$ stove & surround. 800$ for liner, cap, flashing, and install. I was quoted as high as 2,700, but midrange was 2,500 on the stove, with wait times from mid- december to early february! ALL other quotes were for 1,500$ liner and install. I shopped around and it would cost 600$ DIY. I'll gladly pay 200$ to have someone move that beheamoth into my house, climb up on my steep pitch roof, and get soaked in the rain. I'm feeling pretty good about what I paid. so next monday my sig will be a reality!
:)

It's going to be the longest 7 days of your life! :lol: I've heard nothing but good things about Blaze King, oh except some don't like the looks. With 2 stoves going your going to be nice and warm this winter.

Great choice! My BlazeKing kicks ass, i love it!

bfunk13 said:
Great choice! My BlazeKing kicks ass, i love it!
let the questions begin! I got a thermometer tonight and was wondering first where to put it on the stove, and second, what temp to look for on this specific stove?

I checked the thermometer tonight. oven at 350, digital meat thermometer read 348, stove thermometer read just a fuzz over 400. a little more than 50 degrees off.

My stove cruises around 400-450. I've been burning pretty low for now.
Its not very cold here yet. North of 60 has the same stove and is a good source
of info. 350-400 sounds pretty good to me depending on how you are burning.

I think the ugly BK stove is the big honkin free stander with the 14CF firebox, okay maybe it was only 4.5CF. Being an insert I imagine that it will look just fine. You found a good price on the stove. Those BKs used to be one of the highest dollar plate steel stove out there.

You made the absoutley best choice, specially if I am correct that you will be burning mostly softwood.. Stating this because N of 60 only has softwood to burn and he gets 12 hour burn times. And he calls the rest of the stuff that most of us have bought--"prettry toys in his opinion".

Gotta respect the opinion of the man that lives way,way up there. ;-)

"pretty toys"
I like that!

Well here she is in all her glory! yep, you guessed it, they brought the wrong surround, the correct surround to be installed on wed. TALK ABOUT A COOKER! Holy cow, the manual said to build a smallish fire, so three small splits, kindling, and some paper. five hours later there are still coals! all i gotta say is wow. I thought the lopi revere i have downstairs was efficient. this thing is rediculous. fire has been in it, cooled down, and back in for second fire, stove is absolutely chugging, and i think ive used a total of six small splits of maple all day. we started it with the installers here @ 10:30am, its now 6:15 pm and i probably won't have to add wood until 10 or 11 tonight. these are small fires. wow

ps. sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. wife's got the camera at the coast with the kids.

Attachments

• 1117081759.jpg
    1117081759.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 354
Congrats!
You will love it.
Welcome to the UGLY stove club. :coolsmile:

Brad

Nice, make sure you give us all a good review after you burn a full load in her.

bfunk13 said:
Congrats!
You will love it.
Welcome to the UGLY stove club. :coolsmile:

Brad
I thought ugly, but with as little wood as she will use, she's getting more and more pretty by the hour. :lol:

fattyfat1 said:
Well here she is in all her glory! yep, you guessed it, they brought the wrong surround, the correct surround to be installed on wed. TALK ABOUT A COOKER! Holy cow, the manual said to build a smallish fire, so three small splits, kindling, and some paper. five hours later there are still coals! all i gotta say is wow. I thought the lopi revere i have downstairs was efficient. this thing is rediculous. fire has been in it, cooled down, and back in for second fire, stove is absolutely chugging, and i think ive used a total of six small splits of maple all day. we started it with the installers here @ 10:30am, its now 6:15 pm and i probably won't have to add wood until 10 or 11 tonight. these are small fires. wow

ps. sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. wife's got the camera at the coast with the kids.

Great report, give us an update after you've run it awhile, and give us a better pic when the camera gets back.

I have the proper surround installed now and some better pics.........

Attachments

• woodstove 001.jpg
    woodstove 001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 248
  • woodstove 002.jpg
    woodstove 002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 261
Looks great. FWIW I don't think the Princess insert in all black is ugly. It seems to have pretty clean lines.

PS: are you going to add another course of tiles to extend the hearth?

Looks great. After a few weeks, let us know how it runs as compared to your lopi. I am particularly interested in knowing how low a burn you can run in comparison with the non-cat lopi, and whether you believe the thermostatic control on the BK is worth the extra money it takes to buy the BK verses manual air control on other stoves.

Thanks.

Welcome to cat world, where wood burns on and on and...

BeGreen said:
Looks great. FWIW I don't think the Princess insert in all black is ugly. It seems to have pretty clean lines.

PS: are you going to add another course of tiles to extend the hearth?
was definetly mulling that over! any ideas?

daleeper said:
Looks great. After a few weeks, let us know how it runs as compared to your lopi. I am particularly interested in knowing how low a burn you can run in comparison with the non-cat lopi, and whether you believe the thermostatic control on the BK is worth the extra money it takes to buy the BK verses manual air control on other stoves.

Thanks.
I can already tell you, this stove was 500$ less than the Lopi freedom I was looking at. I put 3 total 4" diameter 14" long pieces of maple in it last night at 9pm. at 6am this morning, I still had 3 maple logs in the stove! lightly broke them into coals with the poker, and had a two inch deep base to start with! If I stoked my lopi with 6 or 7 pieces the same size, i would be lucky to have enough coals for a starter.

If you can't find a matching tile, maybe go for a contrasting row of black tiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.