Probably a dumb idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
I have discovered a small leak in my main boiler loop (1.5 inch copper). I made this discovery while filling the system, so there is not much water in there.... The problem is, there is water standing in this area of the line, so it won't solder. It is a low point in the line, so I don't see any way to get the water out....

What if I turn on the boiler such that it boils water and blows steam through the pipe? Would that damage anything? I think it would clean out the water if I pushed steam through for a half-hour or so.

Anyone see a problem with this? The only other possibility is to cut into the line and re-solder.

Andrew

There is a product called skark bites which are solderless copper fittings. I don't know if they make them that big but you should look into it. I would not fire a boiler like that you could warp or crack it easily.

I think it is a bad and maybe dangerous idea. Most likely some of the steam would condense when the pipe cooled and settle in that spot anyway. Cut it, drain it and solder it.

I think cut into line and re-solder idea is better. Is there a joint near by that you can MAYBE get hot enough to knock off then get water out, dissemble and reassemble ? They do make a sweat coupling that doesn't have a ridge in the middle, A " repair coupling" so, you can cut the pipe, slide the coupling all the way down on one side of pipe, let the pipe flex back and slide the coupling back to the middle and solder.
Rob

even if you opened up the system and boiled the water out of that loop with your torch, you would have a fitting coated with hard water deposits that would have to be taken apart and cleaned before the solder would stick.

you may try using a shop vac to suck the water out of the loop if you have access somewhere, or using a length of poly or vinyl tubing about 1/4" diameter to fish down to the low spot and suck the water out, again with shop vac. or just cut it and replace the piece of pipe.

good luck

compressed air would be safer. Get one of those portable air tanks and connect it into the system to blast out any low water spots. Stay below the relief valve pressure of course.

hr

You guys are probably right. I'll blow it out with compressed air. It's a Wood Gun, so it is designed to produce steam, but all your points of caution are well taken.

Andrew

Destroy the fitting with a sawzall - remove it - clean the pipe completely - solder in a new fitting - this time something that you can drain because this is a low spot

Yes, cut, drain and patch with a fitting that drains. It's a mistake to have any low spot. I'd be done in 10 mins or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.