Probably a stupid question,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
but, in case of a electrical outage, would it be safe to burn in the insert with cat conversion? If so, what would be the best way to operate the controls for air and bypass?

If I need to buy a generator for emergency, what size would you recommend to just operate the insert?

Many thanks in advance.

Which insert are you taking about? Would be helpful if you could just put it in your signature.

If you just want to run the blower on your insert, a small 800w generator will be more than enough. If you're gonna do that, you might as well get something a little bigger and have lights and a refrigerator.

Fans are NOT a requirement for most stoves/inserts. It is true that inserts usually heat better with a fan running, but it doesn't create an unsafe environment as long as you adjust the stove for proper burn temps.

If heat output is your concern, then pretty much all small gensets would run your fans. They are pretty low wattage consumption (compared to most any genset). Even the little fella from HF should have no problems pulling that load.

Don't know about your stove but I don't see a big difference between freestanding stove and an insert other than if it's flush like mine the fan will help to distribute heat much better. As far as generators I love those small Hondas. They are quiet very efficient and dependable but pricey. However they hold their value.

My buddy uses a deep cycle battery and an inverter to run his pellet stove during outages. Its a fan and an auger, probably draws more than an insert, but not entirely sure. Low budget, nothing to really maintain, I think he can run up to a couple days on his set up.

Some basic info here:
http://www.pelletstovefires.com/pellet-stove-battery-backup.html

I've run both a fridge and a small freezer off a 1 KW Honda. Just plug one in and let it run a few minutes until it's stable, then the other. I replaced it with a 2 KW last year during our 4 day outage and I can run fridge, freezer, lights, etc. easily. A 1 KW will not power my air compressor or some power tools but the 2 KW will.
Don't buy a cheap piece of crap. I started that way years ago and they won't start when you desperately need them the most.

Sorry, should have mentioned the insert is a Buck 91. Will certainly put it in my sig. line, since I will probably (certainly) have more questions. Thanks to all.

Doug that's what we use at work 2k Hondas we almost never maintain them beat the crap out of them having them work in rain snow etc and they always start and provide power for our tools and lights

If all your wanting to do is run a fan (and maybe even a few LED bulbs), i would agree with Warm and do a couple deep cycle batteries with an inverter. Don't have to worry about gas, oil, etc.
If you're new to the idea of doing that, one website where there is a free audio podcast where the guy talks in detail about setting this up (and no, i don't know him or get paid from it lol) is battery1234.com

The deep cycle battery and inverter would run the fan but I have had no luck with a deep cell battery lasting more than two years weather it gets used a lot of not.

Just my personal experience but a cheap (champion would be my recommendation, I have two) generator could be had for just a few dollars more and should last many years.

Heck - you can't buy a good deep cycle battery for the price of the little HF 900 watt genny on sale right now.

I would certainly recommend both. From what I understand about using a deep cycle battery working for years (and I have yet to prove it out), you should leave it connected up to a computer controlled charger constantly. Yes it will use electricity to keep it hooked up, but it only amounts to like a dollar or two a year. Doing that should keep it fully charged to where it will prevent the buildup of the lead-oxides. But it has to be a computer controlled charger to keep it from over charging and causing other unwanted happenings !!!

You can certainly run a cat stove without the blower, we lost power for a week back in 2011 and I ran my Blaze King Princess every day all day, it didn't heat the whole house as well as with the blower but was comfortable and we were able to stay here. I now have an 8500 watt generator but don't have a stove with a blower anymore ;lol

Sorry, should have mentioned the insert is a Buck 91. Will certainly put it in my sig. line, since I will probably (certainly) have more questions. Thanks to all.
Alright, yet another Indiana Buckstove! >> I picked one up used, and have it at my MIL's house. This is the 3rd winter with it, and I'm finally getting a handle on all the ins and outs of the 91 (I may be a little slow on the uptake.) ;lol I too have wondered about what to do during a power outage, although it's usually not a problem in town where the stove is. I know that without the blower, that stove would probably get hotter than I would like to see it. I like that deep-cycle battery/inverter idea...

Last edited:
I have never used power to burn wood no fans needed at all.
Sounds like a good situation. This varies with the stove, location and floor plan.