probably ridiculous question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal MA
heyyo folks,
just got a napoleon 1402, started my first fire (ever, other than a disastrous popcorn event..) and im loving it. JUst a quick question- when im looking for more heat in the room/house, should i go with blowers on high or low i assume high.. plus for an overnight(ish) burn- longer burn times with the fans on low or high? ridiculous, i know, but hey, so are disastrous popcorn events.

thanks!

Welcome APersonalMatter.

Set the blower setting to the desired heat output of the stove. If the stove has a blazing hot fire going, set the blower on high. If its an overnight fire, long and cool, set it on low. Mid fire, mid blower.

Don't burn the popcorn.

Build a big fire........get BIG heat...........

-Soupy1957

APersonalMatter said:
heyyo folks,
just got a napoleon 1402, started my first fire (ever, other than a disastrous popcorn event..) and im loving it. JUst a quick question- when im looking for more heat in the room/house, should i go with blowers on high or low i assume high.. plus for an overnight(ish) burn- longer burn times with the fans on low or high? ridiculous, i know, but hey, so are disastrous popcorn events.

thanks!

Welcome to the forum APersonalMatter.

Easy with the blowers as others have stated. Also, if you feel cool air from the blowers, turn them down and put more wood in the stove.

If you have any problems getting heat to other rooms, use a small table fan. Set it in a doorway or hallway, on the floor, set on low speed and blow the cool air into the warm stove room. This is the easiest way to get heat to the other areas of the house. It sounds backwards, but it works.

My blower stays on low. Gives plenty of heat and isn't too loud. In my house I honestly can't ever imagine needing to turn it up past medium.

agree with cmonSTART...lower temps keep blower on low setting; higher temps set blower to max CFM.

we have a self-powered ecofan and love it.

I leave mine on a Med to Low setting all the time and it heats my 1100 sq foot house nice.
I found if I turn it up to far it will cool the stove off too much and not burn as clean.

Good luck.

I leave mine on high, but the wife turns it down for the noise (so she can hear the TV better). My thought is - I want it moving more air (heating more air). Perhaps I need to experiment more and try a medium setting.

Not a ridiculous question by any means. Interested in what others do myself.

My blower usually runs around 25% .If its cold cold out I'll turn it up to maybe 60%. Anything more than that seems to cool the stove down fast unless burning wide open. On a side note -I added the blower a little past mid season last year and chimney looked good at the end of the year . This early into this year I have more build up now than I did after the whole year last year. The convection chamber opening is on the top rear of my stove and blows on the pipe .It is double wall pipe though so I thought it wouldn't affect the flue temps as much but time will tell.

I have turned mine down alot versus last year. I had it going pretty fast last year and it did get annoying hearing the TV. I find I get the same heat out and much quieter. The ceiling fan circulates the heat once it is out and much quieter. Most of the heat goes to the ceiling, especially in a two story family room.

It depends on what I'm tying to do. If I'm trying to heat the house up quick I'll let the stove crank and blast the fan. But usually for overnights I'll keep it on low or med. When the house is already warm I'll keep it on low.

Good luck with your 1402 by the way. I have stove envy. I was supposed to get the 1402, but my installer ordered the smaller one. I'm happy with the heat output on the 1101, but wish I had longer burn times. Are the fans loud on your 1402?

I usually leave the blower on low, unless I'm trying to really heat fast from a cold start and cold house. In that case I wait until the firebox is at least 400 and turn it on high. That is rare since the stove never usually burns entirely between re-loads and the house is rarely under 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.