1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Probe thermometer installation

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mepellet, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Maybe I am being overly anal but when I follow the directions the probe seems too loose to me. I purchased a condar fluegard probe thermometer and drilled through both layers of the doublewall stovepipe with a 3/16" bit. Then enlarged the outer hole with a 1/4" drill bit. I slid the magnet onto the probe first and then the eyelet and put the probe into the stovepipe. I think the eyelet bottoms out on the inner layer of the double wall stovepipe, so I swapped the magnet and eyelet and it sits a lot better now.

Photo 1 - instructions
    Photo 2 - condar fluegard thermometer
    Photo 3 - magnet and then eyelet slid onto probe
    Photo 4 - probe slid into stovepipe
    Photo 5 - swapped magnet and eyelet and then slid probe back into stovepipe.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    If it sits better the other way, then go for it.

pen
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I went through the exact same scenario. But the instructions are clear to put the magnet on first, then the eyelet. I did have to jiggle the probe a little to get the eyelet to fit in well, but it does now. These kinds of thermometers are designed and calibrated to be used a certain way and at a certain height, so I figure that they have you do it that way for a reason. Just make sure that the eyelet fully goes into the 1/4" hole. It's a tight fit.

Here's a hint. Try putting the eyelet into the 1/4" hole first and seat it. Then the assembly will fit into it.
    mepellet, pen and Todd 2 like this.
  4. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio Atwood Lake
    That is how I got mine to fit right.
    pen likes this.
  5. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio Atwood Lake
    Just had another thought, do you have a full 1/2 inch between the inner and outer wall of the pipe ? that slip collar is close to a 1/2 inch long if I remember correctly. That would hold it out a little to far also.
  6. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    There is only 1/4" between the inner and outer wall of the pipe.

7. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    What kind of double wall are you using? 1/4" is really close.
  8. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Selkirk DSP
  9. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio Atwood Lake
    That seems to be the issue with installing it according to the instructions in pic 4, that slip collar is made for 1/2 inch spaced double wall pipe. I dont know if this will mess with the temp reading accurately or not, might give condar a call or email.
    Mine works within 30 deg of the grill probe I have swapped back and forth with but my pipe walls have a 1/2 inch space also.

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I would do that. The outer surface of that pipe would probably be hotter than if the spacing were greater. If so, that would affect the calibration of the device.

I emailed Condar with a question recently and got a very prompt reply.
  11. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Just sent them a message. I will report back after I hear from them. Thanks for all of the responses so far!
  12. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Well, I had a great correspondence with Condar and within a couple hours, they said they would send a shorter eyelet. Just waiting for it to arrive. Great customer service and very friendly. I would not hesitate recommending their products to anyone.