Probe thermometer installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Maybe I am being overly anal but when I follow the directions the probe seems too loose to me. I purchased a condar fluegard probe thermometer and drilled through both layers of the doublewall stovepipe with a 3/16" bit. Then enlarged the outer hole with a 1/4" drill bit. I slid the magnet onto the probe first and then the eyelet and put the probe into the stovepipe. I think the eyelet bottoms out on the inner layer of the double wall stovepipe, so I swapped the magnet and eyelet and it sits a lot better now.

Photo 1 - instructions
Photo 2 - condar fluegard thermometer
Photo 3 - magnet and then eyelet slid onto probe
Photo 4 - probe slid into stovepipe
Photo 5 - swapped magnet and eyelet and then slid probe back into stovepipe.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382575430124.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382575430124.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 283
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382575443967.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382575443967.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 288
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382575460310.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382575460310.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 298
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382575475925.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382575475925.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 298
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382575489021.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382575489021.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 282
If it sits better the other way, then go for it.

pen

I went through the exact same scenario. But the instructions are clear to put the magnet on first, then the eyelet. I did have to jiggle the probe a little to get the eyelet to fit in well, but it does now. These kinds of thermometers are designed and calibrated to be used a certain way and at a certain height, so I figure that they have you do it that way for a reason. Just make sure that the eyelet fully goes into the 1/4" hole. It's a tight fit.

Here's a hint. Try putting the eyelet into the 1/4" hole first and seat it. Then the assembly will fit into it.

Here's a hint. Try putting the eyelet into the 1/4" hole first and seat it. Then the assembly will fit into it.
That is how I got mine to fit right.

Reactions: pen
Just had another thought, do you have a full 1/2 inch between the inner and outer wall of the pipe ? that slip collar is close to a 1/2 inch long if I remember correctly. That would hold it out a little to far also.

Just had another thought, do you have a full 1/2 inch between the inner and outer wall of the pipe ? that slip collar is close to a 1/2 inch long if I remember correctly. That would hold it out a little to far also.
There is only 1/4" between the inner and outer wall of the pipe.

I think the eyelet bottoms out on the inner layer of the double wall stovepipe,

That seems to be the issue with installing it according to the instructions in pic 4, that slip collar is made for 1/2 inch spaced double wall pipe. I dont know if this will mess with the temp reading accurately or not, might give condar a call or email.
Mine works within 30 deg of the grill probe I have swapped back and forth with but my pipe walls have a 1/2 inch space also.

There is only 1/4" between the inner and outer wall of the pipe.

might give condar a call or email.
I would do that. The outer surface of that pipe would probably be hotter than if the spacing were greater. If so, that would affect the calibration of the device.

I emailed Condar with a question recently and got a very prompt reply.

Well, I had a great correspondence with Condar and within a couple hours, they said they would send a shorter eyelet. Just waiting for it to arrive. Great customer service and very friendly. I would not hesitate recommending their products to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.