Probe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDogg

Dec 1, 2009
Central Mass
I have a tarm solo plus 40 and wanted to get a probe thermometer for the flue pipe exiting the boiler. The digital gauge on the front of the unit is not an accurate reading of the actual flue gas temperature with variations of approximately 100 degrees or more of a difference from what ive been told. I would like to get a probe therm that I could set in the flue and somehow run a wire to upstairs with a gauge on it that gives me the temp so I dont have to go downstairs all the time. Does anyone know of any products like this or am I just dreaming again.

What you are looking for is a digital thermocouple temperature switch. There are a few brands out there. Several posts here have discussed them. I use Dwyer Instruments one with a K type thermocouple or you could use a J type in the flue. A 3 inch length TC will work in a metal flue. You would need to purchase a role of TC extension wire. There was a cool solution posted two days ago that showed a picture of this device installed in the home (if I remember correctly the user purchased a 24 volt version and then powered it from the boiler which is a safe way to do that).

I recently posted a simple and inexpensive way to monitor two temperatures sensors using K-type thermocouples. Take a look at this. If you search "digital thermometer" on ebay you will come up with several other options. This is pretty easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.