Probe Versus Magnetic Thermometers with Large Dutchwest Mod 2461

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erice

Oct 6, 2008
Spokane, WA
Hi,

I have a large catalytic Dutchwest Mod 2461. Just priced the probe thermometer - $64 ! Magnetic themometers are about 1/4 that cost. Can I simply add a magnetic thermometer on top of the cat? Is it useful to also have thermometers on the firebox and/or flue?

Thanks,

Eric

I'm wondering about thermometers too. I don't want to spring for a probe type either! Interested to see what the answers to this are...

I have a condar probe type (bought direct from condar aprox $30.00) and a magnetic type ($14.00) that I use on the stove top. They read very differently depending on where in the burn cycle. Early flue is much hotter than stove(flue 8-900, stove 350-300), mid they both run about 450 (flue maybe 500), late, flue down to 250 but stove top still 350-400. The stove top seem pretty accurate compared to readings taken with IR (+/-20 degrees). I think the actual temps are pretty varaible from set-up to set-up and stove-type etc. However they provide a way to monitor the fire. I think once I get used to it my eye will be just as useful but... FWIW, the flue probe runs pretty true with its zones. Creostoe (yellow ;-P ) = smoke, and as I approach the red (hot) zone it looks like a real good time to shut down some air.

the magnetic therm won't give you catalyst temperatures. it will only give you stove top. I guess you don't have to know what the catalyst temp is (if I remember correctly, about 1400 F at full bore), but having the probe on top into the cat lets you know 1) when you have good secondary combustion and 2) when your catalyst is shot.

I personally would replace this with the VC replacement, or a after-market type probe if it fits properly. I remember after a few years, the probe pretty much disintegrated.

EDIT: this only applies to the VC DW catalytic (and maybe other catalytic stoves).

Status
Not open for further replies.