Problem, not sure what size to get.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
taxidermiquestion : 1712329 said:
I have a 2800sqft house with 1000 gal storage I use a eko 60 I only use 1 fan and it works great.
I have a similar question regarding sizing, my heat loss is 50,000/hr max, typically for 2 months, the other heating months would vary from 20,000-38,000. i don't intend to have storage right away. So my question is would the 25 meet the demand and would I have to load it every 3-4 hrs or should I upsize to the 40 and get longer burn due to more idling. The max storage I could possibly install is about 500 gal. But this may be way off at this point. anyones thoughts?

I would go with the 40 but with that heat loss and recommended boiler size, you should try to get 1000 gallons of storage.

Ready to pull the trigger and get a gasser, not sure what size to go with, going to get an Eko but do I get the 25 or the 40? Talked to New Horizon they said either would work have 2800 sq. ft. will be putting in 500 gals. storage. Just wondering if the 25 would be a little under sized just redid heat loss calc and came up with75,000 btu/hr. loss. If I can get by with the 25 without burning a lot more wood saving a little more money would be great. Just looking for some educated advise thanks.
Hi Ryan,
I have no wood boiler experience, so I can't help with your numbers. I did find this video on a EKO-25 installed in central NY area. He's a poster here, and showed a boiler ceramic nozzle change-out after 4 year operation. He shows some significant QC problems, and since he did a diy install he had zero warranty support.

The link below is the part 1/3 nozzle swap (fall 2013), but he also has a 2 part video of post install about 5 years ago. Worth viewing all five.

Surprising how calm he is during the entire process.

OK, the link above launched an embedded youtube viewer, so watching the other 2 parts isn't so easy.
You'll need to click the little youtube symbol and then click on his "49 videos" link next to his name.

Or, if allowed, i'll just post the other 4 here (hope the Mods do not consider this spaming):

Part 2/3

Part 3/3

4 year old review 1/2

4 year old review 2/2

Ryan, I live close to you Sault Ontario. I have the 25 and 500 gallons for 2500 sqft with a heat loss calc of 52000 peak btu/h. I have run five winters on this setup and would definitely recommend the 40 with 1000 gallons as a better solution. Spend the extra money up front - you won't regret it. I got my boiler and supplies from Cozy Heat in Indian River. I'm not sure if they still sell the Eko line.

I have an EKO 25 and my heat load is 28k btu @ 0* to -10F depending on how much wind there is . It keeps up very easily but when it's real cold and windy ,,, I need to give it 3 good loads of good wood per day with no storage. I have 2,200 Sq. Ft with 9' walls but is a very well insultaed house.

Medman, with your current set up, what don't you like that you would go with the 40. I'm looking to install the exact same as you with the same losses. I would very interested to hear from your perspective

I would be able to run longer from storage during the coldest part of the winter. Since I using a heat exchanger in the plenum of my forced air system, I can only use temps to 140*. Having more storage would give me more flexibility for firing, and the 40 would allow me to charge storage faster. For the relatively small difference in price I would go bigger if I had to do it again. For the price I paid for the 25 I could probably go to a 60 now!

Let's say I never install storage, the 25 would meet the demands. What kind of burn times would I get? Would I get 8 hrs as the dealer says or am I looking at 4-6 hrs during peak demand? It seems that the 40 would be way oversized unless I install storage, which I know I can't do more than 500 gal. And it will be some time before I could even install. Am I missing something obvious

Ryan, I live close to you Sault Ontario. I have the 25 and 500 gallons for 2500 sqft with a heat loss calc of 52000 peak btu/h. I have run five winters on this setup and would definitely recommend the 40 with 1000 gallons as a better solution. Spend the extra money up front - you won't regret it. I got my boiler and supplies from Cozy Heat in Indian River. I'm not sure if they still sell the Eko line.
Thanks Medman, well I ended up going with a Biomass 40 me and my dad went Thursday, picked mine up at Cozy Heat in Wittenberg, Wi. Will be posting pics and progress
on install, Just have to wait for it to warm up still burning at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.