Problem- Stove Shutting Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

becasunshine

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2009
Coastal Virginia
Hi again everybody!

Small problem here with our NPS40. I pulled it down on Tuesday and did a mid-winter Big Clean: pulled the sides off, pulled the motor, vacuumed the motor housing and the exhaust fan blades, vacuumed the exhaust vent from the motor side, then vacuumed the exhaust vent from the outside. I also vacuumed out the combustion fan? the other fan on the other side and the rest of the inside compartment. I installed a new motor mount gasket since the former one fell apart when I removed it this time. I pulled the little trap doors on the back of the fire box and vacuumed those traps.

I also did the usual cleaning- firebox, burn pot, heat exchangers, emptied the ash bin, etc.

The stove fired right up afterwards and ran like a top for 24 hours- then shut itself down.

There wasn't a huge build up of ash in the burn pot. In fact, there was almost no ash build up in the burn pot. We've been running the stove on 3 damper, 4 feed and that gives us a very clean burn.

The pellet bin wasn't empty but it was getting there. There were pellets on top of the auger screw but not the usual several pounds- more like several handfuls or shovelfuls, if that makes any sense. Some of the pellets were distributed up the sides of the bin. In other words, while there were plenty of pellets there wasn't the weight of a full bin on top of the auger, pushing pellets into the feed.

The burn pot was almost burned out and nearly empty, contained next to no ash, fresh pellets had dropped and they didn't catch fire. The stove went out.

We thought it was an aberration, took that opportunity to let the stove cool, cleaned it, filled it and went on about our lives.

This evening- ditto. Instant replay. Same thing all over again.

Does this happen to anyone else out there? Does the stove need to be topped off with pellets? I know we've ran the stove just about out of pellets in the past, in order to vacuum the fines out of the auger feed. We do that on a fairly regular basis- but a lot of times we'll just shovel the remaining pellets out of the bin. We have rarely let it run to empty or near empty.

Of course, when it's my *intent* to do so I tend to babysit the pellet bin and shove what pellets remain down toward the auger.

We have traditionally shut our stove down once a day to vacuum it, and we reload it with fresh pellets before we fire it back up. We've been trying to let it go for two days this year- cleaning it every day seems a bit compulsive and we need the heat to keep our NG furnace from running as soon as the stove is shut down. Similarly, we've been trying to let the bin empty to the point where we can simply empty a whole bag of pellets into the bin at once.

This is a new pattern of stove maintenance for us- so I can't really compare to last year.

I know that as soon as we clean this stove and reload it, it will fire right up and burn for 24 hours with no problems.

What think you, Wise Ones? Why is my stove shutting down at 24 hours with some pellets left in the bin, and on the auger?

Simple each turn of the auger is delivering fewer pellets since they are not being packed into the feed as tightly as they were with all of the pellets still in the hopper to push them. Fewer pellets same air shorter burn time for what is left in the pot. Gets to the point the pellets don't make it to the pot and fire goes out.

That is also the reason some stoves have a + or - feed rate on setting 1 the pellets don't make it to the burn pot in time to be lit and the fire goes out. Dense pellets may burn fine on -1 but less dense pellets burn up too fast and only maintain a low fire on 1 or even 1+.

You also might get them to burn more of what is in the hopper plus auger by reducing the airflow this would make the pellets burn slower allowing the auger time to keep delivering enough pellets.

Remember, pellets are sold by weight but are delivered by (the) volume (of what gets into the auger).

There is also another reason I can think of depending upon the stove and its damper settings etc... etc ... etc ... it might vacuum error off. Additional air entering the system through the hopper.

Hi, Smokey!

Your answers make all kinds of sense to us. Even though we plan to let the stove run for two days between cleanings, I guess we'll need to jump on filling that pellet bin a little sooner. You're right, we could close the damper- but I'd just as soon spend the attention we pay to the stove to address the root issue. It's just as easy to put a bag of pellets in the bin as to fiddle with the damper.

Hey, I thought about you today- today's kitchen extravaganza was not Boston Baked Beans but rather black eyed peas, tomatoes and pulled pork!

Hi Beca,

Yup, keep it full, I always fill up the hooper when I get up and just before heading to bed.

This noon time I had some baked beans, fresh hot homemade bread, home made pioneer pickles, a mug of coffee, and a slice of homemade chocolate cream pie.

Pulled pork the Mrs. likes that, that reminds me it is about time the Mrs. and I went up to the Bray House in Naples and had some pulled pork and sausages. It is a brew pub, they make their own sauces using their brews, they are very good (both the sauces and their brews).

Status
Not open for further replies.