Problem with 10cpm and it's COLD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

champscorner

Sep 7, 2009
Midwest Ohio
Hi all, so it's -6 here in Ohio this morning and I have a problem. Yesterday evening I noticed the burnpot filled with pellets so I just thought she needed a good cleaning so I shut her down and did just that and fired her back up overnight. I woke up this morning with a super low flame and the house at 47( I run a heat pump for back up only). I've tried shutting it down and cleaning again, I've run with settings 1-4-1 and 3-5-1 which are the settings I typically use at 9-9. I'm running on a skytech wirless t-stat and have checked the batteries in both units. It seems as if either a) I'm not getting enough pellet feed b) the skytech is not working properly to control the stove to set temp. Also, and this may be weird, the stirrer(mixer) motor is running constantly and I could of swore there was a pause every so often to let pellets kind of catch up??? I have had this unit for 5 winters now and this is the first issue other than the 2 ignitors I've replaced. I'm thinking of cleaning one more time and putting the jumper in to bypass the remote to see if that does anything. After that I'm not sure what else to try.I dont have an Englander guy in my area and I have a 5yr old in a bedroom with an Eden pure running. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance

Did you clean out the heat exchanger area and the exhaust venting (all of it) ?

Make sure the OAK is not blocked outside with ice or snow if you have one fitted.

Hi all, so it's -6 here in Ohio this morning and I have a problem. Yesterday evening I noticed the burnpot filled with pellets so I just thought she needed a good cleaning so I shut her down and did just that and fired her back up overnight. I woke up this morning with a super low flame and the house at 47( I run a heat pump for back up only). I've tried shutting it down and cleaning again, I've run with settings 1-4-1 and 3-5-1 which are the settings I typically use at 9-9. I'm running on a skytech wirless t-stat and have checked the batteries in both units. It seems as if either a) I'm not getting enough pellet feed b) the skytech is not working properly to control the stove to set temp. Also, and this may be weird, the stirrer(mixer) motor is running constantly and I could of swore there was a pause every so often to let pellets kind of catch up??? I have had this unit for 5 winters now and this is the first issue other than the 2 ignitors I've replaced. I'm thinking of cleaning one more time and putting the jumper in to bypass the remote to see if that does anything. After that I'm not sure what else to try.I dont have an Englander guy in my area and I have a 5yr old in a bedroom with an Eden pure running. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance

is the unit in corn mode?

Thanks for the quick responses! OAK is clear and I just went on vacation for new years and gave everything a full clean. She's only been running for 3 days and was fine until last night

Mike, she was set at 3 somehow??? I changed it back to 1 for pellets, this is correct?

anything else I should try before I fire it back up or was this my issue

anything else I should try before I fire it back up or was this my issue

Try it and see. I thought "corn mode?" too due to constant running of stirrer.

Mike, she was set at 3 somehow??? I changed it back to 1 for pellets, this is correct?

YES!!!!!!!! this was the issue , did you "reboot" the control board recently? a rteboot (and in some cases short blinky power outages can boot the board over to 3 which is the "default" for that chip.

this should be what your issue was

fire it up and see how she does, if still fighting it , look in your PM box

Ok Mike, I have her fired back up and she's still doing the same thing. Flame doesn't get any higher than pellet feed tube? It was on setting 3 but has been switched back to 1 for pellets. Mixer is running as per normal now and not constant. I'm not sure how it got to 3 but I did do a major clean right before New Year and maybe I hit something or I've had a surge like you said. Current settings are 1 for pellets, running at 3-5-1 bottom, and 9-9 on skytech. Everything has been cleaned well( a couple times). Not sure what else to try. Shooting you my # through PM now. Thanks for your time!

Flame just got super low and the room air blower shut off on it's own? I manually hit the off button to put it in shutdown mode.

That's how my stove runs when the thermostat isn't calling for heat.

So after a phone call from Mike we found out through a test that the thermostat loop wasn't closing. Originally thought it was faulty batteries but it ended up being that the little black box on the control board that the wires for the base unit hooks into had pulled loose from the board. So the 10cpm track record of no serious issues over 5yrs still runs true!!! Can't say enough about Englander Costumer Service and specifically Mike Holton!!! Thanks again Mike!!!

Glad you're up and running. Also glad you've had good luck with yours as I'm in my 1st season with my 10-CPM.

Reactions: champscorner
Status
Not open for further replies.