Problem with country winslow ps40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrys17

Jan 17, 2011
upstate ny
No hot blows from the stove on the lowest settings (1 or 2) Higher settings work fine. The dealer suggests cleaning the tubes behind the fire box more thoroughly. (I do this monthly with a vacuum -he suggests also using a brush or some tool to scrape the buildup) Has anyone else seen an issue like this?
terry

The ash and crud that builds up on the heat exchanger is an excellent insulator. If your stove has an exchanger tube scrapper you should operate it according the the manuals instructions.

Also the volume of air pushed out of the exchanger by the convection fan is a lot lower at the low firing rates, if your stove has a bypass that allows the fan to run on high all of the time it will extract more heat at the lower firing rates. It "ain't" going to be hot but you will get more heat out of the stove and also move more of the warm air around.

I'd start with the heat exchanger. Pull the rod in the center of the front to brush the ash from the top of the exchanger. Secondly, I would get the vacuum out and use a brush of the end of the hose to scrub off the exchanger tubes inside the firebox. Mine got pretty dirty after 5-6 weeks of use.

I would also clean out the clean-out box on your vent pipe. Give the pipe a few good whacks to shake any loose stuff off of the pipe. Of course this is A LOT easier on the PS40 versus the PI40 since you don't have to pull the whole thing out.

If that doesn't work, check your pellets in the burnpot. Are they still glowing hot on 1 and 2? I don't get much flame on 1 or 2 but I do have lots of glowing hot pellets!

Also what type of pellet do you use? If you use a pellet that is not known for heat output it will need to be a higher setting. I have this problem my self with bad pellets and have to keep it on 3 to get any decent heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.