Problem with Green Mountain 60 Ceiling CATALYSTS issues, suggestions or help, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VirginiaBred

Jan 13, 2024
Virginia
I have a new GM 60 (almost three weeks of use), and the ceiling tiles have dropped TWICE. I'm not slamming the door or hitting them. They just have randomly dropped. The first time the service guy came out and put them back in place (took him 30 seconds) and cautioned me not to hit them (I hadn't). The second time was last night and both tiles have dropped. I haven't done anything about them yet (it was a Saturday night and no one was open) but this is frustrating to me! What is happening and why?

Could you share a picture? On my Castleton there's a cotter pin that keeps the baffles locked onto the secondary air tubes. I could see them falling down without that pin (but they'd need to get jostled).

Could you share a picture? On my Castleton there's a cotter pin that keeps the baffles locked onto the secondary air tubes. I could see them falling down without that pin (but they'd need to get jostled).
I'll be happy to take a photo but not sure what you need me to take a photo of? The inside?

Yeah, inside looking up where these baffles are supposed to go. And maybe another one after you put them back in place. Picture's worth a thousand words, someone might be able to spot the issue.

Reactions: VirginiaBred
THAT is exactly what the issue is, the walls were reversed and the ceiling baffles have edges that are not straight. I will be going to the distributor Monday morning. Ceiling baffles photo included. See how they have angles at the top? They look much more angled that the website shows.

ceiling again.jpeg

Sounds like a faulty installation from the start. Sorry to hear this with a new stove and I hope they resolve the problem quickly.

THAT is exactly what the issue is, the walls were reversed and the ceiling baffles have edges that are not straight. I will be going to the distributor Monday morning. Ceiling baffles photo included. See how they have angles at the top? They look much more angled that the website shows.

View attachment 323430
The curved sides go towards the back and there are sides of each one that are notched which make them fit together those sides join in the middle. Also the bar that reinforces the front I slide to the right until it rests on top of the soapstone which doesnt cause any gaps on the sides. Usually if I mess with the baffles I will vacuum the tops so no ash causes undesired gaps.