Problem with ICC Excel Rain Cap - have any of you guys installed ICC Excel Chimney with a cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
I'm installing my ICC Excel Chimney... it's 6" chimney and we order the 6" deluxe rain cap. When it came in the cap didn't fit... It looked like they shipped an 8" cap since the bottom collar is about 8" diameter, was obviously too big to fit down in the ID of the chimney and too tight to go over the outside. I ordered another... It came today, same part same problem. I know the part # is right. Either I am missing something or they have someone in the shipping/warehouse who is putting the wrong labels on the boxes and continue to ship 8" caps with 6" part numbers. The Part # on the box is XM-6EDRC......
Please help

I agree with you. Sounds like some serious mislabeling. I have the 6" set up as well, and everything went together great. You might want to get with your stove shop / supplier to check the fit on another piece of class A.

If you got the 6" EDRC, it'll go together - no prob.
You probably got the 8" cap by mistake...
You are experiencing the ONLY downside to Excel chimney that we've experienced - MISMARKING..
Somebody at the factory must be attaching the wrong labels to the products before they head out the door & QC isn't catching the mistakes..
About 3 weeks ago, I fought a (supposed) 12" slip section for an HOUR trying to make it work on a customer's stove...I finally figured out that it was a regular section - NOT a slip...
This happened to us a couple of years ago WITH THE SAME PART #...
When they make the mistake in labelling, they seem to do it to an entire production run...

I just put up a 6" yesterday. It fit like it should, the bottom flange dropped into the inner liner and secures to the outside of the pipe with 4 stainless screws. Don't know if mine is the deluxe version or not, but its Excel.

Yeah, I called my dealer/chimney sweep, who called the wholesaler, who called ICC.... Good customer service from the sweep and from ICC directly. The wholesaler told my sweep that they "took the cap out of the box and measured it before it shipped, to make sure it was the right part". Well, I sent the a pic with the box, the label, and a measuring tape showing the mistake. ICC and the sweep immediately took care of me.... I've called ICC/Excel three times and within seconds got great tech support and customer service. Have a real gripe with the US wholesaler though. They packaged over $1000.00 worth or pipe poorly and it arrived dented, and then made up a story about checking the cap (now have two 8" caps to send back). It wasn't dented enough to send it back... if my doublewall "UltraBlack" arrives the same way, I'll be sending it back. Quality of the product/chimney looks great. I'd put this (ICC Excel) and the Simpson DuraTech as the best...

Status
Not open for further replies.