Problem with log splitter engine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I have about 7 hours use on my 22 ton Huskee splitter and the B&S engine has started surging. I thought it might be bad gass but when I slow the throttle down slightly it smooths out again. Air filter is clean. I would guess that the float is sticking. Should I try and fix myself or call speeco?

B/S Surging, sir I will assume that this is a new splitter.Their are several possibilities that can make it surge.Lack of gas is one but with this being a new machine I doubt that this is it.A to tight governor spring will do it.Try this stunt, next time it starts to surge put a piece of wood into the splitter and let it do it's thing.What is happening is that the engine is being told to advance the throttle, but the governor says no!That is why I think the spring is to tight.
Gas starvation is another possibility. The engine needs more gas but the flow is insufficient to accommodate this request.I know this may be a stupid question but could the gas tank vent be obstructed?This is a long shot but not unheard of.Is their a gas shut off valve? I do not need to tell you what to do with this.Is the splitter still under warranty?Hope this helps, Ken

Splitter is 1 month old. No fuel shut off on this model and I don't have a vented cap. If the governor spring was too tight, wouldn't it have run this way when I first purchased it?

Sir, what sounds like is that the engine is now loosening up just enough to want to rev a bit more, but the governor is doing it's job and mechanically slowing it down. I would contact your dealer.Wish that I could do more, Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.