Problem with my Gas Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leowis1

Oct 9, 2007
Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my gas boiler. The pilot ignition keeps clicking even after all of the burners are lit. It just keeps clicking, clicking, clicking, clicking, clicking, over and over and over. What's causing this? Can I fix it? Thx

Leo

Hearth.com Home - The leading source of information on fireplaces, wood stoves, gas stoves, chimneys and pellet stoves

My guess is that elk nailed it. While a repair is something he might be qualified to attempt, I wouldn't. Not a lot of room for operator error or improvisation when it comes to gas.

To talk directly to a bunch of heating professionals, check out this website:

http://forums.invision.net/index.cfm?CFApp=2l.

Since they're all pros, I'm sure they'll tell you to hire one. But in this case, that's probably good advice. However, they can probably give you a second opinion and some idea of what to expect regarding the repair.

Good luck. Usually these things happen on the coldest day of the year.

G-rott said:
sounds like a flame sensor not "reading' the flame.

garett

It cannot be the flame sensor b/c if it wasn't reading the flame, the main gas valve would not be opening, or should not be opening. It's not retrying otherwise it would be locking out after three tries or retrying after x amount of minutes. So I agree with Elk on this, it stems from the ignition module/flame guard safety module. Sequences on a call for heat, the ignitor sparks to try for ignition, pilot gas valve is energized,pilot valve opens, pilot ignites, flame sensor acknowledges it and allows the main gas valve to open to ignite the main burner from the flame proven pilot. What is happening on the call for ignition, the flame safeguard part of the module sees the flame but the ignition part of the module is not electronicaly de- latching internally to stop its trial for ignition. Since these modules are all in one - a new module is required. The safety aspect of the module is working which is okay to utilize this for your heating purposes but it may be on its way out and is not working properly. So replace ASAP by a licenced gas fitter. It is illegal for a supplier to sell any gas saftey devices over the counter to non qualified licenced gas fitter. Even though they still do. As no-one enforces it.

enord said:
G-rott said:
sounds like a flame sensor not "reading' the flame.

garett
this makes sense. something is not telling ignitor to quit. fix may be as simple as cleaning the soot off a photoelectric eye sensor. burners might need adjustment if soot is sooting.

Its a gas boiler enord!!! No such thing as a photoelectric eye sensor on flame safeguard equipment. Cad cell yes , only on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.