problem with new castille

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was something wrong with the unit the way it was described. I get plenty of heat out of mine and have absolutely no regrets with it. And yep....very simple stove I find. I would buy another if I needed it. :)

you know I think it was a little of both. I think it was too small for the space (even though the dining living area is only 900 sf and it didn't even heat that...) but I think there was something wrong with the stove. I NEVER saw flame above 3 or 4 inches (the AE is all the way to the top!) and I could stand in front of it on high and never even get hot. And now that I can compare it to the AE and how a pellet stove should work...it is like night and day, even though I realize that the AE is a bigger and more powerful unit. Anyway I am just happy it works!!!!!

Just for an FYI, the AE should have a much larger flame than any of the other Quad units, it is designed that way. But on the other hand with the Castile ripping there should be a great deal of heat coming out of the front from the blower. Sounds like something was wrong with it, its unfortunate they were not able to fix it. Hopefully they don't try to sell it to someone else without fixing the problem.

Yes I agree it is unfortunate because I loved the Castile. But the tech took the entire thing apart and said it was working the way it was supposed to, and it was no warmer than 57 in here in the mornings....and no real heat from the blower. Anyway I hope they get it working too! Maybe with it there on the showroom floor thay will be able to experience what I did and will see how little heat it puts out and then they can figure out how to fix it. As many of you have said, it is a simple unit, so there must be a way to make it work properly.

The Castile we have sometimes blasts us out if we turn it above low. My downstairs is about 800 sq. ft. and is not an open floor plan except for the cut out that is between the kitchen and living room...and I always keep the thermo at 80-82 and it keeps a nice 75-80 in kitchen and living room....and maybe 70 in the bedroom and den downstairs. If I opened up my upstairs for it I know it would heat up there pretty good as well. My flame as per the manufacturers instructions says to not let it get over 4" above burnpot....I can do that very easily in fact sometimes I have pushed it a little and gone above that lol. Never have had a problem getting a good size flame lol. But glad you got things solved. Good luck!

mntgirl said:
Hi
I guess the service guy called quadra fire and they gave him a few more things to look at. He is coming over on Sunday (yeah..on a Sunday!) he said that there was some gasket missing so maybe that is it.

Ok, I don't know a thing about pellet stoves. But I do know a LITTLE bit about human psychology (being a sociopath gives me a leg up) If the service tech Dude is coming over to your house for the whole day - on a Sunday at that - than either you are giving him free beer, or you are an eyeful.

In either case, if you ever decide on a wood-fired hydronic, give me a call if you have any problems ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.