problem with profile 30 pellet stove shutting off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brdlvr

Jan 22, 2009
montana
Weve had our pellet stove for about 4 years and all of a sudden it wants to shut off about 5 to 10 minutes after it starts. After it first starts up the flame gets real big it goes into the tubes above and makes a loud sound like an airplane engine and then after about a couple minutes it stops. Then thats when the fan goes down a little and then the fire eventually goes out and won't start up again unless we turn the green button on and off. Weve cleaned the stove out thoroughly previously but not the oguer and stuff like that just blew and vacuumed stuff. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? Please help!

Sounds similar to other posts I've read about "proof of fire" sensor snap disc issues. Someone will chime in soon with details.
Mike -

Does it fault (green light flashing)? If so look at your photo eye. If not look at an air adjustment. I have another sugestion but usually people just ignore it so....

Green light did flash. Cleaned photo eye and has improved since but flame still gets a little to high so working on that. What's your other suggestion? Yes all ducts behind stove have been cleaned.

High limit disc, There are 2 of these If the temp. reaches 250 deg. the high limit auto reset will trip and stop the flow of electricity to the auger motor. They will not reset until it has cooled to 220 deg..Try to increase room blower speed
Pressure switch, A safety devise used to shut off the auger motor if there is to much back pressure in the venting system, check for venting obstruction.
Maybe the photoeye is bad. Did you remove it and clean it completly or just brush it off. If you removed it were the wires installed correctly? Ours was cleaned with a qtip and alcohol and the qtip was black.
The pressure switch tap or hose may be blocked.
Have you cleaned between the heat tubes?

We did talk to a whitfield,lennox customer service person awhile back about it and they suggested we increase blower speed to and we did but didn't help. We did make sure no venting was blocked. We did clean the photo eye thoroughly and since then it has been doing ok ,not going out. We didn't check pressure switch tap or hose but we will remember to check that. The heat tubes we clean all the time. So, far it's working ok again but I don't know for how long.

Free standing or insert? My in laws had the same problem. He has an insert.He pulled the stove and cleaned the pipe with brushes from inside the house and it did the same thing.I checked things out for him and it all looked good.I removed the hose from exhaust pressure switch and the stove ran fine.Went up on the roof and found that the cap grating was almost completely clogged!! The cap outlet is larger diameter than the pipe thus the brush never touched it. Something to look at.Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.