Problem with Quadrafire insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Wiczulis

Feb 19, 2013
I just bought a new, not pre burned, Quadrafire CB1200 (classic bay) insert from my local dealer. I did the install and was only replacing an older unit. The problem I am having is the #1 snap disk never seems to get hot enough to turn on the convection blower. I replaced the snap disk and have the same issue. If I jump the wires, the blower comes on. If I hold the snap disk against the front glass, it triggers. Just seems that the location where the snap disk is mounted never gets to the 125 degrees. I have let the appliance run on high for 30 minutes and still nothing. Thanks for your help, in advance. the dealer is backed up 1 week on service calls.

Since it's brand new under warrantee, you probably don't want to rig it, but some of us Quad owners have replaced the disk with one that either is adjustable or has a lower trigger point, like around 100 to 110 degrees. Now that you've had it off the stove, you may want to try some heat transfer grease that you can get at Radio Shack.
Also, since you are a 'seasoned' burner, I'm sure you have the flame set correctly but with a new unit, many things could need some fine tuning to get the heat up to where it needs to be. Dump valve closed and not hanging down? All the burn pot holes are opened? All the baffles and parts in position? Look at all the little things that can bypass the heat path. It's probably something simple that you will slap yourself for.

Since it's brand new under warrantee, you probably don't want to rig it, but some of us Quad owners have replaced the disk with one that either is adjustable or has a lower trigger point, like around 100 to 110 degrees. Now that you've had it off the stove, you may want to try some heat transfer grease that you can get at Radio Shack.
Also, since you are a 'seasoned' burner, I'm sure you have the flame set correctly but with a new unit, many things could need some fine tuning to get the heat up to where it needs to be. Dump valve closed and not hanging down? All the burn pot holes are opened? All the baffles and parts in position? Look at all the little things that can bypass the heat path. It's probably something simple that you will slap yourself for.
Im hardly seasoned, and I appreciate your help. I upgraded from an older Whitfield that seemed alot less complicated as far as technology goes. Any good resources for order adjustable snap disks? I dont see a reason to have the blower come on at the factory 125 degrees and up. The appliance is in a basement that gets cold faster than upstairs. Having the blower activate at 75 would probably be fine.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Snap-Disc-Control-6UEE1?Pid=search
That's the one that we got. It WILL require drilling another hole to mount it, which is why I mentioned the warrantee issue. Shutting off at 70 would be really too low since you'd be blowing cold air. I have mine set so it shuts off with the steel temp at about 85. That turns it on at about 105. I also relocated it on my Castile to the upper front corner but I don't know the set up on the 1200.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Snap-Disc-Control-6UED4?Pid=search This one is not adjustable but in the range you may like where it closes at 90 and opens at 80. For the money, it's worth experimenting, which is what some of us live for! !!!

so, i used a wire brush and cleaned some of the paint off around the mounting hole for the snap disc. definitely helped some. The blower comes on now. Im thinking if I use a snap disc with a lower temp, I'll be good to go. I will update this thread as things progress. maybe someone else will encounter a similar hiccup with this unit.

Reactions: VintageGal
I have heard some even moved it?

My Classic Bay freestanding has it on the Right side of the exhaust channel/convection tube area. Gets plenty hot there.

Where is thr insert disc located? The Masonry may be very cold and not helping the situation any.

Good luck and welcome to the club

what about this snap disc requires to drill another hole?
The distance between the holes is wider. You can use one of the holes but not the other one.

tn_IMGP0383.JPG

This is on the Castile. Using an old-school surface pyrometer, I discovered that the hottest spot on the side of the
stove was up in the forward top corner rather than down next to the other snap disk at the back.

I was having the same problem where the blower was taking a long time to turn on so I ordered the adjustable snap disk recommended here. But now I have another problem. When I plug my stove in the blower never turns on. The red light comes on but nothing else. If i put a jumper wire and go around the snap disk the blower turns on as soon as I plug in the stove. I tried hooking up my old snap disk and same problem nothing happens unless I jump out the snap disk. I am not really sure what to try next....

Which blower are you talking about? The one in this thread is the CONVECTION blower, which won't come on when you first plug in the stove. It comes on after the stove heats up.

Sorry for the confusion.. I am talking about snap disk 1 and if I don't jump it out when I first plug in the stove the fan that normal comes out as soon as I plug in the stove doesn't come on. Is that fan that comes on when the stove is first plugged in the exhaust fan? I thought this problem was related to the other posts in this thread...

Snap disk #1 controls the CONVECTION blower that blows air out into the room. It won't come on when you first plug in the stove, That is the combustion blower. It can be very quite and you may not know it's even on. Does the stove drop pellets and light? What stove do you have? You might want to put that info in your on-screen signature so we know what you have.
Have you also tried the mod to keep the fan on high at any feed setting? If so, perhaps you may have selected the wrong feed wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.