Q&A Problem with Relined Fireplace Chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Just found your site and hope you can answer or send me to someone who can. We had 6 old beautiful fireplaces relined to update them beause the chimney masonry was old. The contractor used 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 rectangular terracotta liners. Now the only ones that work properly are the small fireboxes upstairs. The wider ones pour smoke into the room despite a full 40 -50 height. My research finds a book by Harry Plummer- Brick and Tile Engineering (1962) which says that the 8 1/2 liners will only support a maximum firebox width of 24 inches. Since we will not make smaller fireplaces- what do we do. Rip our the liners and go with larger stainless steel to order? The contractor suggests adding chimney fans. Apart from sucking out warm room air and raising heating costs- is this acceptable under most building codes? We are in New York City. Hope you can help.

Answer:

The firebox design is as important as the width and height- as certain designs draft much better. Even tho the flue size is only 8*8- the height should make up for some of this. Neitherless- the proof is in the pudding.So- you have a few options:
1. Chimney fans do work in many cases- the best being the exhausto models..I think the company is out of atlanta. I used one myself for many years.
2. Use a decorative screen- hood or door to make the effective opening smaller. It may be that by taking a few inches off the height or width you'll stop the smoking.
3. Install Gas Fireplace Logs- of which certain types may do with the less venting. Whether you install a chimney fan- or enlarge the chimney - you are still sucking the warm air out and raising heating costs. A good quality fireplace insert or stove might help it look good and work good. You can get them in Wood,Pellet or Gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.