Problem with replacement parts 2190 Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

houseofdiesel

Nov 12, 2013
Oxford Mills, ON
First post to the forum, I am getting very cold and frustrated with Vermont Castings, the local dealer is not helping very poor service, I ordered new parts for our 2190 Defiant Encore in September, they finally arrived this week despite a few drop-ins to find out why 2 weeks was turning into months waiting for parts (factory aurthorized dealer). Turns out the upper fireback I ordered does not fit, the screw threads are too narrow by a quarter inch (meaning one side will thread easily, other side will not engage at all, you can see the threads are not lining up with holes in back of stove). Dealer claims nothing is wrong with parts, I gave them both the old and new part, clearly you can see the difference when comparing parts they are sized differently, my guess is the new fireback/damper fits a new model and they claim it to be backwards compatible...there is no way to contact Vermont Castings anymore, website has NO contact info says to see local dealer, great.

The stove was purchased new in 1992, and was in the house when we bought in 2001. I have had great success with the stove, only required a few gaskets, lower fireback, refractory box and hood in all those years (the catalyst was replaced in 1999). This time I am replacing the refractory box, catalyst, upper fireback and damper assembly due to overheating and broken screws/clamps for the damper itself. 14 years from a catalyst seems pretty good to me. But each time we deal with the local dealer the parts get harder to get and the service worse...the dealers are constantly changing around use too, not a lot of selection to find another dealer. For the price of the parts involved I would be half way to a replacement steel stove that is somewhat "quality", not sure I made the right decision...

I'm not a big fan of 2190's, but having serviced a ton of them, I've never seen an upper with mislocated holes. I HAVE had difficulty in lining them up from time to time though. Worst case you may have tyo drill and tap a new hole in that upper fireback! Comparing the old and new parts may not be accurate, as the old one has surely changed shape after 14 years.

In the future, try ordering what you need direct from woodmanspartsplus.com

Keep at it, it is a good stove and will work well once repaired. (Ihope) But if you burn it full time you may be doing this all again in 5-6 years. They're high maintenance when they have to work for a living. Sort of like my daughter.

Happy heating!

Thanks for the encouragement, problem with the holes are too close to retap or relocate, easiest thing would be to elongate the holes in the back of the stove (slot them) but drilling cast is not fun, and then having bigger holes/potential leaks. Dealer finally called back says the stove must be warped, but fails to see the difference between the two parts (unless the old part is warped along with the back of the stove, anything is possible) or offer to come have a look and help solve the problem.
I guess my question is what are the chances the new cast piece is not a direct fit, it is obviously a different casting from the original (design etc), I cannot contact Vermont Castings to ask...

I'd just oval out the holes, put in the bolts with maybe a dab of furnace cement and go with it. Should be fine. It's a little weird, but weird can work. Don't worry, eh?

It appears that the stove is somewhat warped after studying the parts more closely, I have never seen metal warp like this before where it grows in length and swells up, the difference between the old and new part is crazy, the top of each fireback is the same, but the bottoms are out by half an inch, yes it was getting hot at times!

So its back together this afternoon, not fired up yet. The damper door will not stay closed/engaged, likely due to the newness of the gasket/part I looked carefully at it most of the afternoon trying to reason why, hopefully a good fire will cure it.
I just filed the bolts that hold the upper fireback a small amount, then the left bolt must go in first or it will not line up (funny how that can be). Anyways, back together!

Status
Not open for further replies.