Problem with smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

triptester

Feeling the Heat
Aug 25, 2006
S.E.Wisconsin
My son has a older home with a fireplace and gas boiler . The chimney is masonry with twin flues. Since updating windows and cutting down on drafts a problem has developed where smoke from the fireplace is being drawn back down the the gas boiler flue. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

triptester said:
My son has a older home with a fireplace and gas boiler . The chimney is masonry with twin flues. Since updating windows and cutting down on drafts a problem has developed where smoke from the fireplace is being drawn back down the the gas boiler flue. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

I expect that providing an external air inlet to the fireplace would solve it. He's drawing a vacuum in the house, and the only way that air can get in is down the other flue.

My fireplace is set up with inlet ports on either side that are ducted to the outside. May be hard to accomplish as a retrofit.

Does he have a chimney cap covering both flues? If he does the roof of that cap creates a channel for the smoke to return down the burner flue
If he has a single cap covering both flues then it should be removed the next step is to increase the exit distance between the flues, meaning to raise the fire place flue 9" above the burner flue

The chimney has 3 separate flues about 18" apart. The north flue is cemented shut. The center flue is for the fireplace with its own cap .The south flue is for the gas boiler with separate cap.

See:
http://www.extendacap.com

We also have nicer looking ones, like the enclosed. Separation of the exhaust heights usually solves this problem.

Attachments

• bothPT1212.jpg
    bothPT1212.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 188
My fireplace flue is several inches shorter than the gas flue. Which one should be higher?

The third flue that is cap shut ,could it been intended for a fresh air intake feeding up from under the fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.