Problem with ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

my4angels

Jan 30, 2011
Montana
Our new gas fireplace does a puff of flames about a minute after the room comes to temp. and the flames turn off. Is this a venting problem or an adjustment?

my4angels said:
Our new gas fireplace does a puff of flames about a minute after the room comes to temp. and the flames turn off. Is this a venting problem or an adjustment?

You'll have to put that in a statement that makes a little more sense.
What do you mean by "Does a puff of flames?"
If the flame turns off when your room gets to temperature,
it sounds like you have the unit on a thermostat & it's working normally.

That is the best I can explain it. Its an odd thing. Yes the thermostat is working properly. It shuts off and then it does a sudden puff of flames that makes the fireplace bulge a bit.

LP Gas?
Sometimes they just do that when they shut off and there is no way to fix it. Sometimes there are some adjustments that might help. I would suggest you have a pro come look at it if it concerns you.

So when the fireplace turns off, there is a "puff". I've seen it before. Daksy, should be here to answer you in 3..2...1

Slow this AM Franks...
I have the same problem with the QVI-30 (LP) insert I burn.
The burner shuts down, but the gas continues for just a second or two & I get that "last gasp" of flame.
I've learned to live with it, because I can't figure out how to prevent it...
Nature of the beast?

Oh snap, I'm gonna find the answer out and beat Daksy to it. I've just lived with it too, but its not easy to fix like delayed ignition. There was something else. I'm on it!

Its due to the velocity drop after the valve closes, and the last bit of LP enters the burner.

I find the new contemporary units with glass or stones are worse than log units running on LP.

I have had many units ignite in the venturi because the right velocity is hard to acheive because propane is so heavy compared to natural gas.

The last "burp" is problematic with a large number of LP models of every type.

The reason it is worse on LP is because the heavier gas lays in the burner instead of floating out like NG does. When the cold gas hits the warm burner, it eventually expands, moves out and finds a source of ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.