Problems making flue connect with stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfeels

Jan 9, 2012
South Shore Mass
pfeels.com
Guys I've tried everything and the double-wall pipe is just to tight to fit in the top of the stove, I bought an adapter and the very same problem. Anyone know any tricks?

It'll help focus folks' attention if you'll add the appliance manufacturer and model to your sig. Odds are that some member here has the same stove and may be able to shed some light on the problem you're experiencing. Rick

Thanks fossil, I got a feeling this stove is only going to take single-wall stove pipe ...

ICC Ultrablack has a stove adapter for "stoves with flue collars that do not project above the top of the stove. It can also be used to connect to stoves with irregular shaped or sized flue collars." (http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=35&l=e&d=2&)

Maybe you need something like that from your stovepipe manufacturer.

The collar does project above and the inside diameter is exactly 6 inches, I wrote to the manufacturer, see what they say too ... and thx, I'll check this out

Plus I did buy an adapter, I got it today and same problem, it just doesn't fit, way, way to tight ...

Not sure what is going on. Single wall, double wall, it should be the same. The double wall stove adapter should fit just like single wall. Can you post some pics?

Not sure what is going on. Single wall, double wall, it should be the same. The double wall stove adapter should fit just like single wall. Can you post some pics?
This would definitley help. What is the ID of the stove flue?

I'll get some pics/video up today, the flue ID is around 6 inches also, but again it's an impossible fit unless there is something I'm missing ...

Sounds like crimping pliers are in order.

Does +3 refer to a type of crimpers? And recrimping a part of the pipe that already is crimped will help? ... I'll crimp the inner wall ...

Attachments

• 100_8273.JPG
    100_8273.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,628
  • 100_8274.JPG
    100_8274.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 802
I can get it in about a quarter of an inch and that's it, it won't budge and I used some lube ...

That stove has been made for something like twenty years and this is the first time I have heard of this with it. A welder was having a bad day.

That stove has been made for something like twenty years and this is the first time I have heard of this with it. A welder was having a bad day.[/quote].
OK, to bad though. I would just crimp it some more, that couldn't hurt

OK, to bad though. I would just crimp it some more, that couldn't hurt

As long as you put a bead of furnace cement inside the flue collar first.

Reactions: tfdchief
That stove has been made for something like twenty years and this is the first time I have heard of this with it. A welder was having a bad day.

Yeah, the guy that makes and sells those adapters is the brother-in-law of the welder... :)

Does +3 refer to a type of crimpers? And recrimping a part of the pipe that already is crimped will help? ... I'll crimp the inner wall ...
+3, like the third to recommend

we are looking at the outer wall of the double wall here right? there is no way that'll fit
i was referring to crimping the inner wall of the adapter
can you post a pick of the adapter you have?

BB, looks like that adapter is what the OP needs for sure. However, I just can't figure out why a manufacturer would make a 6 in outlet stove that would not accept a six inch crimped stove pipe???????

really shouldn't mix single and double wall pipes (besides not being approved/code)

Reactions: Defiant
I just looked at the pics again. If that is double wall, it is upside down. That outside crimp goes up. The bottom end will have the inner liner crimped to go in the stove or stove adapter and a straight smooth outer liner to go over the outside of the stove adapter.

Reactions: Defiant
Status
Not open for further replies.