Problems with gas furnce

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
It does not turn off after it reaches the preset temperature. Would this be the thermostat (old mercury thermostat) or the controls in the furnace?

When you say that it doesn't turn off, do you mean the blower or the actual fire in the furnace? The blower will often continue to run after the thermostat stops calling for heat.

In general, mercury thermostats are pretty reliable. As a test, what happens if you manually lower the preset temp. Does the fire in the furnace stop?

Are you saying the accuracy of your stat is off?

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. The burner will not turn off unless I turn the thermostat down to 50 degrees. If I turn it down say 5 degrees or leave it at a set temp, the burner will not turn off unless I turn the system completly off.

Sounds like the old unit has gotten sticky. Replace it, they are inexpensive. You can put a low cost digital thermostat in its place that will allow you to dial in setback temps. LUX makes some good digital models. Just be sure to set the swing differential on the new unit so that the thermostat is not too sensitive.

I pulled the dial portion of the thermostat, breaking contact and burner shut off. I'll pick up a new programable tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.