Problems with Napoleon NPS40 Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason321

Mar 10, 2009
cental ny
Help,

My Napoleon NPS40 is not working properly. It worked fine for a couple of months then I had major problems. At first I thought it was the pellet quality but I tried several different pellets and they all are the same. My pellet stove lights the pellets OK but the fire only burn by the the ignition plug. The fire will burn poorly for a little while (bad combustion:lazy flame, orange black color) then go out. Sometime the stove shuts off and I restart. The flame goes out and when hot enough starts up again and actually shoots sparks out of the fresh air intake. The stove is direct vented horizontally with 4" venting. I live in a drafty house so I have no fresh air intake. I ruled out the pellets and installation because it operated correctly for a couple of months. I then checked for air leaks around the door and ash door with a piece of paper as shown in the manual. After checking this I proceeded to take the whole unit apart. I cleaned the exhaust motor, venting pipes, and exhaust manifolds in the stove. I then cleaned the fresh air intake pipe and manifold with my shop vac. After putting it all back together it still is not any better. Sadly I bought the stove on the internet from a company called Zoobler who is across the county. They have tried to help me over the phone but cannot find a solution. Napoleon has not responeded to my E-mail for help. The Exhaust motor runs but seems to be blowing out weak. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Jason

After doing a check of my E-mails I found that Napoleon did respond to my E-mail. I somehow missed it. Napoleon did respond to my E-mail yesterday. Again, I would appreciate any further suggestions.

what is your damper set @? i have no outside air and i have mine 3/4 to full

have you cleaned under the burn pot with a vac? could have a clogged combustion flow

do you have the ring on your burn pot (earlier models came with this) if you do take it off

when i start mine after a cleaning i put a hand full of pellets in the pot and pile them up in the ignition area and let the auger fill the front of the pot, wait for a nice flame and start the room blower, gradually bring the auger up to 4-5

It shoots sparks out of the fresh air intake? That sounds like it cannot exhaust where it is supposed to so it is pushing out the air intake. Are your pipes clean? Make sure no blockage on the outside? Lazy flame is lack of air also. Sounds like it is not breathing.

I have tried different damper settings when the stove was working and it seemed to work best when it was 3/4 open. Now I cannot get the stove to even operate. The fire will start for a little while(5 minutes) and then go out. It does not matter how how the damper is set the fire still will go out and smolder. Sometimes it will start up again with such a force as to cause a backfire out of the fresh air intake. I vacuumed under the fire pot and cleaned the whole stove. Im starting to think that the exhaust blower is not working correctly. It is humming but im not sure if the propeller is working.

Since your stove ran OK for a couple months, you would think nothing is wrong with the installation. If you are sure the unit is clean, and the venting is clean with no obstructions, I think you are right suspecting the combustion/exhaust blower. With the horizontal vent, it's proper operation would be critical. My vent is out, then up 5 feet. The stove was at a medium burn when we had a power failure. The flame extinguished almost immediately, after burning lazy for maybe 15-20 seconds. The stove was out, and completely filled with smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.