Problems with Pellet Boiler Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John O

Nov 5, 2012
Hi,

A large property I help maintain, had a wood pellet based heating system installed nearly a year ago. In that time there have been many visits by the installers to rectify various problems. There are some slightly odd things about the installation, and it would be helpful to have a second, third, etc, opinion as to whether these are normal teething troubles, or if there is something fundamentally wrong with either the equipment or the way it has been installed.

The system is controlled by an external thermostat, which has been installed on the north wall, behind a drainpipe. This is probably the coldest and dampest place on the exterior of the building. The system seems to run slightly hot. Is this standard/best practice for installing the external thermostat? Should there be interior thermostats?

The large circular firebrick on top of the firebox has cracked, and stated to disintegrate, and a chunk has now fallen off. There is a chance that this problem with cracking began to occur during transit/ original installation, but I do not think this is the case. Is this a typical problem with pellet based boilers? What else could cause this?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards,

John Orme

John, welcome the the Hearth! First off, what brand of boiiler are we talking about? When you say running hot, what are you referring to, water temp, exhaust? What have the call-backs been about? Any pics of this system, those may help as well. I think what you are calling the outdoor thermostat is an outdoor reset temp sensor, used to modulate boiler temp based on outside temperature, and therefore building heatloss. If this is the case, the boiler temp should get hotter as the outdoor temps drop.

TS

Sounds like an outdoor reset thermometer, the outside thermostat can't be in the sun or it will make it go bonkers. There is an indoor thermostat too, the outdoor one sets the water or air temp and the indoor one controls the fan or circulator.

Edit oops should have read the reply!

Re the cracks, they can happen from transit, improper break in, rapid cooling and from normal use. There are other things too that cause it but not as common.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I have uploaded some photos of the installation, although it pretty well fills the boiler room.

Slowzuki, I would be grateful if you would explain why the thermostat would go bonkers if it receives direct sunlight. Surely if it gets warm due to the sun, it will cause the boiler shutdown or reduce heat output, which is what it should do?

Regards,

John O

Attachments

• AbbayeHeating 005.jpg
    AbbayeHeating 005.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 238
  • AbbayeHeating 002a.jpg
    AbbayeHeating 002a.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 240
  • AbbayeHeating 003.jpg
    AbbayeHeating 003.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 243