problems with quad 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtrout

Oct 22, 2006
Helena, Montana
Was wodering if anybody else is having problems with soot/very fine ash (not smoke) coming from their quadrafire 1200. Somewhere/somehow, my stove is picking up very fine ash and blowing it out the heat exchanger tubes. The local service folks aren't any help as they say it can't happen with the stove designed the way it is. It is happening and can happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your pipe is not sealed to the stove the convection blower will pick it up and distribute it in the room.

if its 10 years old, that should be a 1100? Is it possible that the red rtv has hardened and cracked and is letting alittle ash in the back of the stove? when you pull the sides open, do you see ash back there?

Thanks for the help!!!! OK maybe 8-9 years old. There is ash on both the blowers (convection and exhaust) as well as inside the cabinet. If the exhaust was leaking, wouldn't I smell some smoke?

Ash is the back is the tell tell sign that some gasket is leaking, the ash is getting sucked up from the back cavity and being distrubited throught the convection blower. I would guess the convetion blower gasket is leaking or you stove adapeter is no longer sealed. You would not smell smoke necessarly, ash has a way of working it self out of the smallest places, expecally if its a pressure exaust system like a pellet stove.

That's exactly what is happening!!! I just can't isolate the source. Is the convection blower gasket on the lower side of the heat exchanger? The other suspected areas are where the 4'' is necked up to the older 8" at the roof and around the center shaft of the exhaust blower as I have noticed alot of ash there (as well as in the exhaust motor). Should I disassemble all the joints and re seal???

I think its located on the left side on the bottem. Im not shure though, it was a long day in the office and im on my 3rd beer already. I will look at a schematic later and see. It woulndt hurt checking every seal that is between the firebox and the back of the unit.

Mtn Stove Guy,

Thanks for the help!! The convection is on the lower left and connects directly to the heat exchanger. I just cant figure out how to isolate where the problem is. I'll probably wait for our indian summer and disassemble all the connections and re-seal them.

What indian summer?? This year has been strait up winter!! up here in the north i have gotten 34" in three days! You have got more i bet. I think your plan is best. Order the correct gaskets ahead of time. Your local quad dealer might be inglenook energy center in evergreen, and i think there is one in the springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.