Processing the short n uglies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Getting things cleaned up little by little. go through splliting all the short an stubbies. splitting them small since a lot of them are oak and i want to burn them next fall. might take some of the maple ones for spring. hoping to have it all cleaned up the next couple weeks here. I got some more wood to bring home from my uncles house from the storm. need to drop a couple trees for him so i need to make room and get things nice and clean. cuz im sick of looking at the mess.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 421
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 418
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 420
Ya Bobby, get em split and they'll dry and still make good firewood. Won't stack worth a hoot but good wood anyway.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya Bobby, get em split and they'll dry and still make good firewood. Won't stack worth a hoot but good wood anyway.

Throw them between rows of stacks or make a big bin for them out of pallets or two by four posts with chicken wire walls.

It's all heat, same btu per pound of wood whether it's a perfect looking split or an ugly gnarled chunk.

I just burn the uglies first, leaving the good lookers on display longest...... ;-)

I have a pile on a pallet just outside my woodshed for ones that won't stack nicely. I use the uglies up during the summer when we make campfires for hot dogs and marshmallow roasts. Up where I live we have a lot of gnarly knotty softwoods that are just a PAIN to deal with at all.

~Rose

woodchip said:
It's all heat, same btu per pound of wood whether it's a perfect looking split or an ugly gnarled chunk.

I just burn the uglies first, leaving the good lookers on display longest...... ;-)
i do the same thing.

Kenster said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Throw them between rows of stacks or make a big bin for them out of pallets or two by four posts with chicken wire walls.
i plan on building a big bin this year for them out of pallets. just gonna make a big pile of them first. and make some room then ill toss them in. i got quite a bit to go through. i processes about 12 cords this summer and have a lot of left over chunks. gonna be fun

I see you have a TON PLITTER. That's what I use too. I burn everything. I spend a lot of time in my shop with a fire in my little stove out there...so tossing the shorties, chunks and uglies in from time to time throughout the day is no problem or hassle for me...it's just warm and comfy. Rick

fossil said:
I see you have a TON PLITTER. That's what I use too. I burn everything. I spend a lot of time in my shop with a fire in my little stove out there...so tossing the shorties, chunks and uglies in from time to time throughout the day is no problem or hassle for me...it's just warm and comfy. Rick
haha. funny how that pic came out. lol. but yeah having a ton of these are great. i have been burning em up the last couple years in the fall and spring. but i think after im dont splitting all these I'll have about a cord of em. I just want to make i do split the small though cause i want them as dry as can be. they really do fill up the blaze king nice and once you get them going i just crank it down and still get long burns in the shoulder season.

Been working up a big white pine in the side yard, and now have a whole bunch of ugly, twisted, gnarly "splits", that may not even fit in the stove.
They're out by the firepit on a pallet right now. They will probably find themselves in that same pit at some point.
The other "uglies" are on top of the front stack in the shed. If they'll fit in the stove, I'm burnin' 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.