1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Processing

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by deck2, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    I bought a load of logs about 8cords-hard maple mostly and I haven't had a chance to buck them up and split them they are going to be for 2010-11 (this years wood has been split since January) well a friend of mine just bought a processor and I was talking to him about my tri-axle load a few weeks ago and he called me this morning and said he will be over tomorrow AM to take care of my logs!! I will post pics as soon as he is done-which he estimated about 3+/- Hrs., I would have spent more time than that just sharpening chains and fueling up the saw to buck up.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Sounds like a damn good friend! Make sure you take care of him. ;)
  3. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    Don't worry a gratituity has already been prepared!!
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    3 1/2 hrs 8 cords SWEEEEET!
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    You must need a new file and gas can or else you exaggerate. I may have spent 20 minutes tops on those tasks. Now, the other tasks are an entirely different matter.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Please get some pictures!
  7. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Yes....pictures and/or video are required...share with us!!
  8. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    You only spend 20 mins on sharping and fueling to buck up over 8 full cords wow must be doing something wrong when I am sharping my chain! I tend to sharpen w/every tank of fuel and I use more than one tank--maybe 8-10 or more to cut that amount of wood!!! So yah I do spend all of 3 hrs to sharpen/refuel/clean the saw. Not to mention the time need to haul the splitter out..... ah forget it. I don't need to explain it!!
  9. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Holy moly you sharpen a lot. I run full chisel chain, keep it out of the dirt, and I only sharpen it every 5 or 6 tanks usually. I can't even notice the chain dulling after 2 or 3 tanks and for sure not every tank...maybe I'm cutting like a sissy? ha
  10. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I filed my chain twice to buck up 12 full cord, none of this face cord stuff.
  11. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    Here are some pics of the machine working and the pile it is working on!

Attached Files:

12. mike1234

mike1234 New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I'd like to know how one keeps the chain "out of the dirt'? I was cutting the last couple of weeks, just to clean a new place for next years wood, fell a couple of trees, cleaned them up (getting into the dirt). How do you get the branches off, and cut it into 24" lengths without getting into dirt?

I was also cutting a new path to a new area to cut, and I cut a few trees down, started cutting one up, and hit a old piece of wire fence (ruined that chain, glad it was an old one).

I cut for 4 or 5 hours, ruined 1 chain and sharpened another one once, although it is ready to be sharpened again (again, dirt). Just not sure how people stay out of the dirt.

I do have a full chisel chain, but never put it on because I know it will really dull it in the dirt, and I have so few opportunities to cut when I will not get into the dirt.

13. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Unless you are cutting somewhere that has never been farmed or built near, you are going to hit wire, nails, rebar, etc. That is why a lot of mills wont even take logs unless they are from the woods. I use new chains for logs I am 99% sure are clear and then after they have been sharpened a few times go into the stock that gets used for those higher risk areas.

Try a peavey to get the wood off the ground and keep the bar out of the dirt.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34396_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1
  14. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    Sorry had to run before I could post all of the pics
    here are a few more

Attached Files:

15. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    Pile of split wood is much bigger now and the pile of Logs is now much smaller, Now if that unit stacked it I would be all set ;-P
  16. SolarAndWood

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Nice pile of sawdust...4-way wedge?
  17. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I like the processors that don't make sawdust but rather buck the wood with a guillotine. It's amazing how much of my wood ends up as sawdust. Between the sawdust and the shrinkage, I lose more than 10%. I hate it when people can buy seasoned wood cut, split, and delivered for the same price I pay for logs.
  18. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    I have less than $100 cord into this wood (the tri-axel load and the processing) and I havent had to touch the wood yet!!

I just cant see a guillotine choping a 16inch oak or hard maple log in two!
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That is a nice machine and makes firewood mighty fast.

Mike, watch for a PM.
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You sure don't. Sounds like a reasonable amount of time here in the real world. :coolsmirk:
  21. SolarAndWood

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    That's sweet. It's nice to have friends with equipment like that. Is firewood his primary business?
  22. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    no-- he owns a local snowmoblie and ATV dealer and heats the place with a woodboiler after bucking and spliting around 10 cords last year he bought this machine! I think he will be processing for a fee when he gets a chance, and I think I was his first customer with this machine.
  23. SolarAndWood

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    How long did it take to process your truckload? I assume that with the 4-way you are going to have to resplit?
  24. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    No--He did most of the resplitting and It wasn't that bad-about 7hrs I imagine.
  25. SolarAndWood

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    So the cord an hour they advertise with that processor is actually a reasonable number.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.