procrastinating on installing my Harman 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superglyde

Sep 19, 2013
Hey forum experts,
I'm having a dilemma on this install. First, I *think* I can do it myself. Details are such:
From hearth to top of chimney, its 15 feet. Can't find anywhere reasonable to buy 15 feet of SS flex. Once I buy it, does it run in one continuous length from top to directly in the pellet stove?
Note the pic, the location is in the "not recommended" arena according to the instructions because the top of the chimney is so much lower than the second floor. Note I had a vacustack for my woodstove to solve the wind washing off that second floor. Is there a vent cap available that will solve the same problem for the pellet? I was thinking of having the vent pipe terminate somehow in the vacustack, but not sure how I will seal up the rest of the 8 inch diameter hole in the vacustack, and allow air in for the OAK pipe terminating somewhere down in the chimney. I've ordered that collar thing Harman sells for the OAK that has side vents for air intake, but it doesn't have a top plate for the exhaust vent, etc.
I'm just scratching my head on the best way to do all this.
Thanks for any tips !
Carl chimney.jpg

Hi Carl. I'm no expert, but I can tell you that yes the SS flex should run from top of the chimney all the way to the insert. Some jurisdictions don't require the liner to got further into the chimney than past the damper, but full length is recommended. The liner for our Accentra insert goes all the way up our 25ft chimney. When I bought our liner I used www.rockfordchimneysupply.com There prices were just as good or better than any others I could find and their service was fast. I can't help any with the windwash concerns.

I purchased my flex liner from www.chimneylinerdepot.com located in the Pocono Mtns. Pa. Received the flex insert kit the next day about $210.00 or so plus $25.00 shipping. Very easy to deal with and it's made in the USA. It runs the full length from insert frame stub to the top cap. Good luck!

Go on ebay. I got a complete kit from the seller chimney1 4" by 20 stainless liner with topplate and cap for $199.00 free shipping. stainless steel is stainless steel so why pay more. Its the same guage everyone else sells

Hi Carl. I'm no expert, but I can tell you that yes the SS flex should run from top of the chimney all the way to the insert. Some jurisdictions don't require the liner to got further into the chimney than past the damper, but full length is recommended. The liner for our Accentra insert goes all the way up our 25ft chimney. When I bought our liner I used www.rockfordchimneysupply.com There prices were just as good or better than any others I could find and their service was fast. I can't help any with the windwash concerns.
*so we don't need a tee or anything for the accentra? just straight shot from top of chimney direct into back of stove?

Yes, straight up from the insert frame stub as supplied by Harman up to your top cap which comes with your flex liner kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.