production and quality of stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1966

Aug 24, 2008
south jersey
with companies speeding up production i was justing wondering will the quality control be there or are the just slapping them together to meet the demand and make a sale

Well I havent quite got mine yet. About a week or so till delivery. But my Dealer does not let the stove out untill it has been opened and checked. They do a test burn as well. So I have to carry on trusting them.

dave1966 said:
with companies speeding up production i was justing wondering will the quality control be there or are the just slapping them together to meet the demand and make a sale
There are humans and money to be made involved here. Is this a serious question? :)

dave1966 said:

I work in a paper mill. Been there 37 years. Every time demand went up, quality went down.

From what I have been reading on this forum, the pellet stove manufactures aren't throwing stove out the door at any kind of rapid pace, they sloooowly creep out the door. Mine took 15 weeks.

Webmaster said:
Keep in mind it cost a pellet stove maker MUCH MORE to fix a stove once it is in a customers house. They would be foolish to let quality suffer, because it will cost them almost right away.

Cannot this be said of any product that carries a warranty and installed in a customer`s home?

Gio said:
Cannot this be said of any product that carries a warranty and installed in a customer`s home?
Yep. Remember the Pinto - if I recall, the part (a rubber bladder in the gas tank) that would have prevented the fires cost about $5 or a plastic baffle for $11. Instead their reputation got trashed, they got sued, and I believe became the first American corporation indicted on homicide charges. There's also the Corvair, the Jeep Wrangler shackle bolts, lawn darts, British TV sets, and a host of other examples of where today's profits outweighs total cost issues --- we manage by quarterly results in this country.

Interesting that you started this thread when you did. Just yesterday (the day of this original post) a fellow firefighter and sweep showed me some pics of a pelletstove (I will not mention the brand) where a piece of metal apparently wasn't welded . . . the owner (also a firefighter) apparently noticed this after starting up his pelletstove for the first time and discovered that hot pellets and ash was falling out of the closed door through the gap made in the metal that needed to be welded.

Pics follow . . . stove brand has purposefully been smudged since I believe it was an honest mistake and believe the company will be fixing this issue. Things like this are bound to happen occasionally . . . I mean . . . we all mess up from time to time . . . shoot . . . I seem to mess up on a daily basis so it's good folks around me are forgiving of my mistakes.

First pic shows what the owner found . . . a small pile of ash/burning pellets in front of his pelletstove (actually the pellets were cool by the time the pic was taken)

Second pic shows the stove burning with the gap between the metal that apparently should have been welded.

Attachments

• pelletstovealt.jpg
    pelletstovealt.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 421
It comes down to the quality control a manufacturer has in place. It's quite easy for a guy on a welder to be having a bad day and miss a spot but it's about the systems in place to guarantee these things don't happen.

I know we have seen these types of things before and it really does cost a lot more if you have to then replace parts or the whole stove because something is not 100% with it.
Unfortunatly where people are involved, there will be human error and it will happen from time to time. As long as no one gets hurt and they sort it out thats the main thing.

Digger Jim;

you are correct about the Ford pinto......however far more interesting is the fact that never a word to my recollection was ever mentioned about the Mercury bobcat.....same car different name tag....

both produced at the Edison N.J. plant...

deercroft said:
Digger Jim;

you are correct about the Ford pinto......however far more interesting is the fact that never a word to my recollection was ever mentioned about the Mercury bobcat.....same car different name tag....

I had a Mercury Capri in college (late 70s) that was recalled 7 times while I owned it...little problems like the rear window blowing out from the suction at highway speeds...or the transmission falling onto the pavement leaving the stick in hand...or the wiper motor that could fly thru the windshield... :)

I finally got rid of it after changing out 3 camshafts and 2 engines due to overly soft steel used on the lobes of the camshafts...worst POS I ever drove.

FORD used to stand for Found On Road Dead...or maybe it was Fix Or Repair Daily...don't remember anymore :)

DiggerJim said:
deercroft said:
Digger Jim;

I had a Mercury Capri in college (late 70s) that was recalled 7 times while I owned it...little problems like the rear window blowing out from the suction at highway speeds...or the transmission falling onto the pavement leaving the stick in hand...or the wiper motor that could fly thru the windshield... :)

I finally got rid of it after changing out 3 camshafts and 2 engines due to overly soft steel used on the lobes of the camshafts...worst POS I ever drove.

FORD used to stand for Found On Road Dead...or maybe it was Fix Or Repair Daily...don't remember anymore :)

Or Friggin Old Rebuilt Dodge. BUT I put 220,000 miles on one and will get 200,000 on my Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.