Productive day with the husqvarna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
We had a tree in the backyard amongst alot of bramble, etc. go down during hurricane Irene so i figured i would go out and see it i could get to it. I grabbed some cutters, the chainsaw, and a machette and headed out. Well, it was not an oak like i thought, it was a black locust! A big one too! The base was 20 inches around. I got what i could for today but there is about 20ft left of the trunk that i still have to work my way through. Here are the pics to prove it....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 232
You have spaghetti growing all over your BL!
Nice job, but what a pain to cut through all that.>>
Did you have "helpers" sitting in the chairs, or was one for you. I should do that.

Does stacking on chairs help it dry? Sweet score!

Nice job! That looks like a real mess getting through all the vines!

You have spaghetti growing all over your BL!
Nice job, but what a pain to cut through all that.>>
Did you have "helpers" sitting in the chairs, or was one for you. I should do that.

The chair was for me, but my wife was actually out there helping me split some of it, she was sitting on a milk crate. I will tell ya that splitting that stuff with a small fiskars hatchet and a hammer is not easy...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
This tree has been down for at least a year...how long should it season?

Once split and stacked, I'd say a year, but if you have a mm, that could clue you in possibly sooner.

Reactions: Dairyman
Some nice wood there for sure, although it looks like a bit of work to get to it...

Are you pounding the hatchet through with a hammer? If so, stop that. The hatchet isn't made to be struck with a hammer & sooner or later a chunk will fly off the hatchet or hammer with enough force to really hurt somebody.
Please go buy or borrow a full-sized splitting axe or maul and if needed, 2 or 3 splitting wedges (can be driven by the maul or a sledge, but not an axe). Even a regular chopping axe will save you much effort and a possible trip to the ER.

Btw splitting rounds by just swinging a hatchet is dangerous too. The handle is too short so when you miss or hit a glancing blow the hatchet head continues on into your leg instead of hitting the ground like a maul or axe head should do.

southern maryland is full of coastal underbrush, vines and brambles. i hate it. i've had some vines on the property 3-4 inches round that go up and literally suck the life out of big trees. i sever those that i see while out working or cutting and wait till they die and pull them from the tree......if i can.

cass

Suprz, I really do not want to pick or find fault but if you look closely at this particular cut, it should set off a flag for you.

Bad cut.jpg

Premium BTU score.
CSS a year would be good.
But if it's "what you got", It'll burn ;)
Locust is a pretty dry wood to start with.

Suprz, I really do not want to pick or find fault but if you look closely at this particular cut, it should set off a flag for you.

View attachment 79952

No offense taken, I am a rookie lumberjack and wood burner. Other than the holes in the trunk and the fact that when i made that cut, my saw got stuck...(oops) that shot shows a piece missing that i cut out of the trunk. What should i be seeing?

I agree with WellSeasoned...moisture meter, may be ready before you think...

Possible poison Ivy? Possible nail(s) in trunk? How it looks like the trunk was under load when cut causing bark to tear from tree (OP stated bar got stuck)? I too am a rookie from R.I. and I'm awaiting the reason from Backwoods Savage (wicked smott guy) ;) (RI humor).

No offense taken, I am a rookie lumberjack and wood burner. Other than the holes in the trunk and the fact that when i made that cut, my saw got stuck...(oops) that shot shows a piece missing that i cut out of the trunk. What should i be seeing?

Look how crooked the cut is. The cut should be straight down through the log. Time for a good filing for sure. Maybe even check the bar.

Reactions: PapaDave
Spiral gyre.

Look how crooked the cut is. The cut should be straight down through the log. Time for a good filing for sure. Maybe even check the bar.

Huh, I never even thought of looking at the actual cut. Oh well, a rookie I am as well.

Well, it is a new chain, and it only had 10 cuts on it from that morning, the bar is original so could be part of it, but i am leaning more toward rookie mistake.....:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.