Professional Wood Pile Watcher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
I am new to wood last year, and really am excited about this next year.

This year I find myself just stumbling around the yard gazing at the BTUs
I am getting really good at staring at the wood..
Is this a form of mental illness?

Or should I hire myself as Wood Pile Watcher? Kind of like house sitting...?

Tom

Maybe you could make a time-lapse video so that you can actually see it aging. Then you could watch it 24/7.

mainemac said:
I am new to wood last year, and really am excited about this next year.

This year I find myself just stumbling around the yard gazing at the BTUs
I am getting really good at staring at the wood..
Is this a form of mental illness?

Or should I hire myself as Wood Pile Watcher? Kind of like house sitting...?

Tom
Yes,but only when your away!

Pretty normal for most of us around here...

Just don't start developing "woodpile envy". THAT is a problem that can only be solved by additional wood aquisition. I think once you pass the 5-year-ahead mark, it might be a bonafide disease! :cheese:

Chris

Watching wood dry is a form of meditation, and can be quite therapeutically beneficial to sound mental balance, especially when combined with the appropriate fluid intake. (Always watch responsibly, and have a designated watcher assigned just in case the recommended fluid intake is inadvertently exceeded). %-P Rick

yup to everything already posted. I was watching a ballgame on TV the other day and must have popped my head up at least a dozen times to see if the woodpile was still in the sun........

Keep an eye on the Pile Watchers in March when there are empty skids and pallets.

I hear you there! one of my stacks (2cord) is right near the road. would ahve a ditch to cross but I am still worried about it at times.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I hear you there! one of my stacks (2cord) is right near the road. would ahve a ditch to cross but I am still worried about it at times.
my piles are srinking every day in the sunshine i always look for tire tracks though!lol

Here's how you make an obsessive pile watcher.

Get a staplegun and staple a piece of orange flagging, or yarn, or tinfoil to a piece of wood at each 1' height in the fresh pile. Lean a yardstick against it.

Now you can measure when it's at 80% height (nominally dry- 9.6" between flags), whether the top and bottom are drying the same, and can- at a glance- get a reading of the pile's state.

Now you will waste twice as much time. You're welcome.

yup, I know that I have a really prime location for my stacks. The ends are really cracking good and the splits ahve gotten super dark, moreso than my privious place that I used.

stack watching is only a problem if you begin to name pieces and/or stacks. I have one named eileen. :)

i was just noticing how nice my 2 cords stack looks.

I helped install a bay window in my kitchen so I could see my holz stacks much more easily . . . okay, maybe that's only part of the reason.

It is no worse than having a rock garden.

Glad to hear I am not crazy
Or at least not the only crazy one out there

there was a fun thread awhile back that started with something like 'you know your a firewood addict when"....or something like that. Find that thread and read it. You will be suprised how true many of the comments are!

i hug my Holz's all the time.....and i say keep drying babies.... it makes my kids laugh their butts off.
my little girl is 6 and she spots wood piles everywhere we drive and yells LOOK DAD more wood!

mainemac said:

Nobody here said that. It's likely that nobody here is qualified to make that call. %-P Rick

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yup to everything already posted. I was watching a ballgame on TV the other day and must have popped my head up at least a dozen times to see if the woodpile was still in the sun........

Why not just run a cable & power out there and get a little TV so you can be with your wood while you watch the ballgame? Rick

fossil said:
mainemac said:

Nobody here said that. It's likely that nobody here is qualified to make that call. %-P Rick

Isn't that the definition of a catch-22?

I find myself beginning to catalog the wood according to species and moisture content. Is this bad???

Chris

Redox said:
...I find myself beginning to catalog the wood according to species and moisture content. Is this bad???

Chris, I don't think any devoted woodburner can know too much about his/her wood. Is this bad? How would I know? I'm an engineer...ask my wife, she's a psychologist. I want to know everything about everything. You've given me an idea for another journal to keep. Just don't tell my wife. %-P Rick

eileen .......................... you named your wood pile Eileen ............................... :lol:

My girlfriend is giving me that look, give her a minute and she will ask me if I am on that wood site again ......................... any minute now ...................

I think I might take one of my deer cams and set it up so it takes a pic of my wood ........................... there she goes, " yes dear talking to the other woodholics"

sorry where was I, yes, I want to set up one of those cams and take a picture once a week all summer to see how she ages! Like fine wine I tell you, like fine wine............................ the wood thats is ........................ :lol: ................ she is giving me that look again!

Jason

stack watching is only a problem if you begin to name pieces and/or stacks. I have one named eileen.

How cool is that !!!

;-P

Well...is it stacked, or is it just a piece? :bug: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.