Progammable 220V thermostat battery backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougstove

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello;
My father-in-law has a winterized cottage with electric back up heat.
The area suffers frequent power outages and his progammable thermostat loses track of time.

Does anyone have a lead on a progammable 220V thermostat with battery backup?
When his current thermostat loses time, it throws off his use of off-peak low price power.
cheers, Doug

Hello;
My father-in-law has a winterized cottage with electric back up heat.
The area suffers frequent power outages and his progammable thermostat loses track of time.

Does anyone have a lead on a progammable 220V thermostat with battery backup?
When his current thermostat loses time, it throws off his use of off-peak low price power.
cheers, Doug
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-ET8015C-Electronic-Astronomic-Switch/dp/B0039QB182 tie output from T-stat through battery back-up time switch..

Ray

Since they got rid of the mercury swtiches, all of the line voltage stats are now battery powered. Just go to the hardware store and buy one. I put programmable, battery powered, 220 volt stats in each of the bedrooms. Nothing special anymore.

Thanks.
Highbeam: Do you know of any manufacturers? My father-in-law specifically contacted Honeywell, and they do not make units with battery backup.
cheers, Doug

I'll have to look at the stat when I get home. They aren't battery backup anymore, they use a battery to provide power to the unit and to switch the line voltage on and off. You probably confused Honeywell with the battery backup thing.

Here's one from Home depot. They aren't particulary cheap but your switching a big load with a computer so it has to be robust.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202247919/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=line voltage thermostat&storeId=10051
That's a nice t-stat! Not much more than a regular set-back t-stat but each room you will use will need one..According to the specs there is no battery in those T-stats so no back up. I wasn't aware they made those!

Ray

That's weird, it stores the programming indefinitely even in a power outage and without a battery. Weird. I would expect most of these to have batteries.

That's weird, it stores the programming indefinitely even in a power outage and without a battery. Weird. I would expect most of these to have batteries.
Quoted from manual:
"Data backup: In the event of a power outage, most settings are saved. Only the
time must be re-adjusted if the power outage lasts more than 2 hours. The thermo-
stat will return to the mode that was active prior to the power outage."

Link to manual here:
http://tinyurl.com/9q9qcs7

Ray

non volatile memory and a super cap for the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.