Programmable T-Stat for Enviro pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
Does anyone have any have any recommendations for a digital programmable t-stat for an Enviro stove? I have an M55 fire place insert and am thinking of using a Honeywell RTH2300B wich is low voltage (24V) compatible but not milivolt compatible, and it is only $24 at the Home Depot. The technical doc that came with the M55 recommends a t-stat that is either 12/24V or milivolt compatible.

The stove came with a standard analog t-stat but I would prefer to just get a programmable one and be done with it.

Brad, I am running my M55 with a Lux TX500E, bougth it at Lowes. I think it was less than $30. Works as it should.

Hello

Yes, any millivolt thermostat will work. However since Pellet Stoves take time to turn off and then turn back on, unlike gas and oil appliances, it is recommended to get a thermostat with a “Swing Temp†setting like a Skytech

Info from Skytech Manual Page 5 >> http://tinyurl.com/2wcu4ho
The thermo-transmitter operates the fireplace system whenever the
ROOM TEMPERATURE varies a certain number of degrees from the
SET TEMPERATURE. This variation is called the �SWING� or
TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. The normal operating cycle of a
fireplace system may be 2-4 times per hour depending on how well
the room or home is insulated from the cold or drafts. A smaller
�swing number� increases the number of cycles so the room
temperature is more constant. A larger �swing number� decreases the
number of cycles, which saves energy, in most cases. The factory
setting for the �swing number� is 2. This represents a temperature
variation of +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ) between SET temperature and ROOM
temperature which determines when the fireplace will be activate. The
�SWING� number values are:
1= +/- 1 0 F (.5 0C ), 2= +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ), 3 = +/-3 0 F (1.6 0C ).

MANUAL CHECK OF �SWING� OR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL
The operation of the factory set �THERMO SWING� can be checked by adjusting the SET TEMP 2 0 F above or below the room temperature.
This will cause the system to turn ON or OFF. Normally the system will only respond to temperature changes every two minutes. Manually
changing the SET temperature will activate the system in less than 10 seconds. If the �SWING� is changed, then a new room temperature
differential will respond. Factory setting of SWING temperature is 2 0 F.
OPERATIONAL NOTE: TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER, CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE ARE ONLY RECORDED EVERY TWO
MINUTES. Additionally, to prevent repeated thermo-cycling of the gas appliance, the sensing unit in the transmitter will only activate the
remote receiver when the temperature change exceeds 2 0 F (1 0C ) above or below the SET (desired) temperature. However, if the
�SWING� setting has been changed from the factory setting (2 0 F /10C ), then thermo-cycling will activate at the new setting of the �SWING�
number.
MANUAL CHECK OF THERMO OPERATION
The operation of the Thermo setting can be checked on demand by adjusting the SET temperature 2 0 F above or below the room
temperature, which will cause the system to turn ON or OFF, respectively. Normally, however, the system will only respond to temperature
changes every two minutes. NOTE: if �SWING� number has been changed, then activation will occur at the new �SWING� setting.
When the gas fireplace system is activated, a FLAME icon will display on the LCD screen indicating a signal has been sent from the
transmitter.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was hoping to see what other Enviro owners were using and I got some good ideas allready. The Skytech looks like some nice stuff, I will have to check them out. If you are into home networking, check out Proliphix thermostats.

I have Filtre programmable touch screen t-stats for all the boiler zones in the house and was thinking of using one for the M55 as well but it stands off of the wall quit a bit and since I am going to locate it at the bottom of the stairs I would prefer something a bit more low profile. The Honewell RTH2300B seems like it might do the trick since it is thin, milivolt compatible, and it is cheap - about $25 at Home Depot.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/5-2-Day-Programmable/RTH2300B.htm
http://www.proliphix.com/

using a lux 500 here and works like a charm.better still ,it was $29 at lowes with a $25 rebate.a steal @$4 .my buddy has a quad hooked up to the analog t-stat that came with his and after seeing mine and how it works,he's waiting till they have the rebate offer again so he can swith over.good luck with whatever you decide on.i always ran mine on manual but man what a difference once you can control it with a t-stat.

My plan is to run the stove on HIGH/Low mode during the coldest months and switch to AUOT/OFF during the fall and lat winter/spring months. I just installed the stove this past Saturday and it has been running in manual mode. I keep it on heat level 2 in the evenings and nights and then set it to heat level 1 before I leave for work. The house still stays plenty warm even at the lowest setting. Last night the outside temp dropped to 20 and even with the stove at heat level 2 it was mid 70's downstairs and upper 60's upstairs. What a great stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.