Programmable Thermo...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
Sorry for the 3rd separate post, but I want all of my questions to be answered, not overlooked.

Harman XXV
what type of programmable stat do you recommend? Any reason why?

I am a teacher, and so is wife. I want to rig it so it turns off during day and fires up around 4 before we get home.

I have a Harmon P68. This is my fourth winter. I did what you are talking about this past week, real easy. I use a Honeywell 1 week thermostat. One setting for all 7 days, that worked best for me. They have other flavors of the thermostat, 5/2 & 5/1/1. The one I bought was $19 at HD. Lowes also caries them. Be careful, as all of the Honeywell thermostats look the same, even though they could be different flavors. I asked a similar question to yours: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80276/

Tom C.

Just my opinion...but I wouldn't go with the Honeywell. All Honeywell digital (programmable) stats do not allow for temperature swing differential adjustments. I replaced mine with a Lux 9000TS which enables me to set 2.5 swing temp. This prevents the stove from short cycling which was happening to me with the Honeywell because it only has .2 swing differential which can't be changed. The Honeywell acts more like a timer to me which is why I went with the Lux based on many positive reviews on this forum.

gerryger said:
Just my opinion...but I wouldn't go with the Honeywell. All Honeywell digital (programmable) stats do not allow for temperature swing differential adjustments.

???

On the Harmon P68 the temperature is controlled by the thermostat on the stove through the sensor, not the remote thermostat. The remote thermostat only controls the set backs (turns on and off). Temperature swing doesn't effect anything.

gerryger said:
Just my opinion...but I wouldn't go with the Honeywell. All Honeywell digital (programmable) stats do not allow for temperature swing differential adjustments. I replaced mine with a Lux 9000TS which enables me to set 2.5 swing temp. This prevents the stove from short cycling which was happening to me with the Honeywell because it only has .2 swing differential which can't be changed. The Honeywell acts more like a timer to me which is why I went with the Lux based on many positive reviews on this forum.

Glad to hear you are up and running with your new 'toy'. :lol:

silverfox103 said:
???

On the Harmon P68 the temperature is controlled by the thermostat on the stove through the sensor, not the remote thermostat. The remote thermostat only controls the set backs (turns on and off). Temperature swing doesn't effect anything.

My bad on that one.....didn't realize the Harmon had a sensor.

silverfox103 said:
gerryger said:
Just my opinion...but I wouldn't go with the Honeywell. All Honeywell digital (programmable) stats do not allow for temperature swing differential adjustments.

???

Hmmm, admittedly I am not overly familiar with the Harmans but I am aware that they use their own sensors. I wasn't aware that they could use a remote thermostat. However, if they use a remote thermostat to control on and off and IF it uses 'swing', then it necessarily would turn the stove on and off at the swing set points and not one particular temperature.

gerryger said:
Very good point...you are correct.

Satisfied with the LUX thermostat versus what you had?

Unfortunately as soon as I bought and installed it, the temps hit 80 here in CT. I will be testing it the very first night it gets cold. I didn't set up any of the programming yet but I did make sure to set the swing temp to #9 (2.25 degrees). Went with the 9000TS. Mainly because it was back lit.

Very easy to install. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how the stat performs.

Folks,

A very timely post for me as I have been thinking about a differential thermostat. I have a Quadrafire 1200 with a Honeywell thermostat and as mentioned, it cycles way too often for me, and wanted to replace it for this season. I'll take a look at the LUX mentioned..... any other suggestions?

Thanks

dougf

With the help of many on this forum I chose the Lux 9000TS (Touch Screen & Back Lit - highly rated by Consumer Reports) on sale at Lowes for $57. Theres another Lux available at Lowes for $19 (LTX500e) with no bells and whistles but it serves its purpose with a swing setting adjustment. Others have suggested the SkyTech remote 3301 or the 5301. Little pricey for me but they both have a 3 degree temp swing.

Here's another link about Honeywell vs. Lux. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80476/

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.