programmable thermostat harman xxv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom D

Jul 10, 2007
Watertown , Wisconsin
i was wondering how to hook up a thermostat to this stove and does the fire in stove stay in high . or will it adjust the flame
just the way the room sensor works. i was looking to hook up the sky tech wire less thermostat. or could you tell me
what you use and how does it work.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7790/
It won't adjust flame it just cuts off the room sensor which tells the stove it's at temp, so the stove in essence will go into maintenance burn and then shutdown unless the temp drops enough and t-stat closes the sensor again.
for a simulation turn the temp knob to off, then after about 45 minutes turn the knob back on......... That is what your flame will look like

It will also cause a 4 blink error (no room probe) when the thermostat stops calling for heat.

I just put one in for my Harman PC-45 I noticed the programmable thermostat is way too touchy for me. I put it next to a bed room and the stove is in the living room. Probably about ten feet apart from the thermostat and the stove. The thermostat turned on the stove back on less than a minute later after the thermostat hit the right temperature. I realize the cool air from the bed room will move into the living room but the thermostat turns the stove on one or two degrees lower than the setting. The room probe will leave it off longer as it is not as precise. Anyone else have this problem or am I too picky?

bubba80524 said:
I just put one in for my Harman PC-45 I noticed the programmable thermostat is way too touchy for me. I put it next to a bed room and the stove is in the living room. Probably about ten feet apart from the thermostat and the stove. The thermostat turned on the stove back on less than a minute later after the thermostat hit the right temperature. I realize the cool air from the bed room will move into the living room but the thermostat turns the stove on one or two degrees lower than the setting. The room probe will leave it off longer as it is not as precise. Anyone else have this problem or am I too picky?

Yeah, prob'ly too damn picky. No offense intended.

if you turn the thermostat up to say 80 and put the room temp to 75 or so it will turn the fire down to keep the room temp setting. it will be a high big fire
up to that point then will lower. i have been experimenting and will let the t stat do the work and it will kick it down also when temp is reached and will
turn down the blower till it calls for heat again....then it will get the fire going higher and blower kicks back on and so forth.....i like the idea of getting up
and the heat is already on! hope this makes sense....
jim

Jim H. said:
if you turn the thermostat up to say 80 and put the room temp to 75 or so it will turn the fire down to keep the room temp setting. it will be a high big fire
up to that point then will lower. i have been experimenting and will let the t stat do the work and it will kick it down also when temp is reached and will
turn down the blower till it calls for heat again....then it will get the fire going higher and blower kicks back on and so forth.....i like the idea of getting up
and the heat is already on! hope this makes sense....
jim
the control board pretty much does the same as you said with no need for the external t-stat..
fall and spring the stoves tend to cycle more but in the dead of winter mine ran full about 70% of the time and it was set it and forget it

the t stat is used to have the stove off when not around (working). can't see running it when not home. it does not take long at all to heat
up the house so far. time and temps will tell however, and i can adjust accordingly. but for now i like having it on about a half hour before i get up
and about the same before i get home.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.