Programmable Thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
Whats the best one to get at the big lot stores. I want to use one with my quad. I do have the smart batt remote but I cant set that to come on and off with that timer.

Like to get some ideas what you are using and what you like and don't

Thanks

Lux TX500e user here, Its works great for me. I have also installed some rite-temps for friends and there happy. The Honeywells do a nice job too. But they are a bit more cash. What ever you decide on makes sure the model has adjustable swing as that is very handy to have.

I have 2 honeywell thermostats (one for pellet, one for oil). Both are great units but the only adjustment I have to regulate my ignitor usage is "cycles per hour". From what I understand about the Lux units is that you can adjust a "temperature swing" instead of cycles per hour. I think I would prefer the Lux's swing adjustment and If I have to replace one I will most likely try the Lux.

A rite-temp programmable from The Home Depot works great with our Lopi Leyden.

Ranger

Glosta said:
I just bought the LUX1500e for my quad 1200i and I couldn't be happier.

Great thermostat with plenty of programability. Has a +/- 9 degree swing feature and also dispalys room humidity.

$39.97 from Amazon with free shipping. Arrived 3 days after order date via standard shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Products-...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1290113941&sr=8-1

This one that Glosta got, or the Lux TX500e that jay mentioned above would be my choices. Not sure the "big box" stores have them, but Amazon.com would be my choice.

The $25 Ritetemp programmable works well on my Quad Sante Fe for the second year. Got it at HD.

Fish On said:
can i set this to come on when im not home? i was told u could not

You sure can. Both of my Quads are on automatic all winter. Keep them fed and clean and they will behave. Kind of like spouses.

i too have the lux 500 and its great.$29 at lowes with a $25 mail in rebate.

I went for the higher end Lux Products TX9000TS-004 Touch Screen and have different settings programmed for different parts of the day.... Stove kicks on if temp goes to 65... M-F

I have the stove start at 4AM so we are nice and toasty when we get up at 6AM.... shuts down at 7AM

Next ramp is at 3:30PM so the wifey comes home to a toasty house after 5PM...

Shut down at 10PM Love those flannel sheets and the down comforter for those very cold evenings!

Saves on the pellets and just have to keep the pot squeaky clean.... no brain-er!

Weekday setup:
I have mine set to raise the temp to 72ºF for 2:30AM were up at 4:30 to 5:00AM and the house it toasty and no cold bathroom for the morning showers. I have it set to reduce the temp to 66ºF at 6:00AM about the time we head to work. I have it set to raise the temp to 72ºF at 1:30PM so we have a nice warm house when the wife is home at 3:30ish.

Weekend setup:
Set to raise the temp to 72ºF for 4:30AM as I am usually up by 6:00AM(thats sleeping late for me). It stays at 72ºF all day until about 8:30PM. I set the overnight temp to 68ºF.

From the research on this, It's best not to go below 10ºF for the temp differential. They say it may take to much energy to recover if you go any lower. google setback thermostats there's lots of info out there on it. pretty good reading for the frugal!

I know this is not your question but
I wanted to add that the thermostat
on my house furnace is programmable to
run the blower only 20 min per hour roughly 3-7 min cycles
this has helped distibute the warm air throughout the house
it has made the house much more comfortable and even

i sent you a pm with lots of info

where can i find a proper company's programmable thermostat near Ontario, Toronto in Canada. I have bought many but i only find them to work for a couple of months and i have to end up getting it fixed. I need a proper, durable, long lasting one. If anyone can help that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.