programmable thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
Hi Was thinking of getting a programmable thermostat, because I just bought a new pellet stove, but have a feeling my daughter will turn up the kero furnace when Im not home, and thats the reason i bought the pellet stove, not to run kero unles realy needed. my question is this, Do the programmable stats have a code or something only I know so to turn the furnace on and off?
I dont want to spend a lot but Im really afraid Ill end up not only with my pellet bill, but kerosene too. Thanks for any help.

freebird77 said:
Hi Was thinking of getting a programmable thermostat, because I just bought a new pellet stove, but have a feeling my daughter will turn up the kero furnace when Im not home, and thats the reason i bought the pellet stove, not to run kero unles realy needed. my question is this, Do the programmable stats have a code or something only I know so to turn the furnace on and off?
I dont want to spend a lot but Im really afraid Ill end up not only with my pellet bill, but kerosene too. Thanks for any help.

Fighting the "Battle of the thermostat" is not fun to say the least. Just ask anyone who has ever worked Maintenance in a commercial office building. One person is too hot...the other siting right next to them in their 'cubicle' is too cold.

Perhaps the best way to fight the dilema is to install a "dummy thermostat" (often done in commercial buildings). Get a 'cheapie' $28 programmable thermostat from one of the box stores, mount it to the wall and then put a picture over it. After of course you program it and then "duct tape it shut"...

Would make Red Green proud...lol ;)

AFAIK... Nobody has made a programmable thermostat that is "password protected" (yet)...

"Calling all inventors" might be the next million $ idea... lol

If she's 27 you can give her the kero bill

myzamboni said:
If she's 27 you can give her the kero bill

Yep! We used to have a roommate in college who would run around in shorts all winter and turn up the thermostat constantly (whether anyone was looking or not). When it came time to pay the bills he mysteriously never had any money.

The answer is to leave your current thermostat in place. Simply remove it one day when she's not home and disconnect the wires (be sure to tape them up and not let them slip back in the hole when you're done). Replace the thermostat and let her adjust it to her heart's content. You'd be amazed what a placebo effect that can have.

My thermostat is one of the many items failing at a breakneck pace lately at Mo Heat Manor. So I've been researching programmable thermostats recently, and purchase one on the web last Friday. It still hasn't arrived...

All the ones I've been looking at have the lock-out feature, but they start at about $70 and have LCD "touch screens". I think that may be more than you are looking to pay. I don't know if the non-touch screen models have a lock-out feature.

I agree with the lockable thermostat box as a cheaper solution, unless you really do need a new thermostat. Here's one for $15:

http://www.amazon.com/Locking-Thermostat-Guard/dp/B000LNPD8K

$70 is alot cheaper than one unexpected kerosene bill. Does anyone really want a lock box on their wall?

I'm kind of stuck wondering though...if she's 27, why is this still an issue? This is typically pre-driver's license teenager territory. As mentioned before, give her the bill for the kerosene if she jacks up the stat.

Along the lines of programable thermostats has anyone seen one with a programable fan option? all the ones I see are only ON OFF AUTO I would like to see a fan on feature that is programable by time /event My Idea would be that I could program the fan only on at times I am home and keep the thermostat low while away or whatever works best.
anyone seen this option?

There are tstats available which can be programmed then "locked out" to any would-be adjusters,often via a dip-switch on the back or sub-base of the tstat.Check Honeywell,White-Rodgers,etc.As for saving money;I know a guy who would remove the fuses from the main box each day before leaving for work-kept his poor wife from turning on the electric heaters!

Blkbeard said:
Along the lines of programable thermostats has anyone seen one with a programable fan option? all the ones I see are only ON OFF AUTO I would like to see a fan on feature that is programable by time /event My Idea would be that I could program the fan only on at times I am home and keep the thermostat low while away or whatever works best.
anyone seen this option?
The fan should follow what the t-stat is set at if you have the fan switch to auto.....

Therefore program your setbacks at the times you want and the fan will follow...
What would be the point of running the fan when the furnace is off?

Mike Wilson said:
Get her a boyfriend...

-- Mike
Preferably one with a job so he can pay for the heat!

MrGriz said:
Mike Wilson said:
Get her a boyfriend...

-- Mike

Preferably one with a house so she can move the hell out...

Remember, the conversation should go something like this... "Okay honey, you're 27 now... time to get married and move out, or just be done with it and come out of the closet." (Or if you live in Northampton, both.) %-P

-- Mike

GVA said:
Blkbeard said:
anyone seen this option?
The fan should follow what the t-stat is set at if you have the fan switch to auto.....

Therefore program your setbacks at the times you want and the fan will follow...
What would be the point of running the fan when the furnace is off?

My thinking is that when the furnace is set low and I am using my woodburning appliance I would be able to set the fan to ON in the evening to help circulate heat and off except when the furnace kicked in at other times. But I guess by your response that you have not seen that feature.
Thank you I was just curious.

---
I am as green to burning wood as the wood I have been told not to burn.

Blkbeard said:
My thinking is that when the furnace is set low and I am using my woodburning appliance I would be able to set the fan to ON in the evening to help circulate heat and off except when the furnace kicked in at other times. But I guess by your response that you have not seen that feature.

The thermostat I just installed does what you seek. You can set the fan to "Circulate" on any (or none) of the programmed time periods and it will run 20 minutes of each hour even if there is no demand for heat or cool. It is a Honeywell. This one (8110U for $95):

http://pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=394&brandid;=

Mike Wilson said:
MrGriz said:
Mike Wilson said:
Get her a boyfriend...

-- Mike

Preferably one with a house so she can move the hell out...

Remember, the conversation should go something like this... "Okay honey, you're 27 now... time to get married and move out, or just be done with it and come out of the closet." (Or if you live in Northampton, both.) %-P

-- Mike

..DOOOHHH! And what would the folks out there in 'Happy Valley'(Northampton) have to say to that one!!! ;)

BOOM BOOM BOOM (Oought Oh...Who do we know that lives out in 'that neck of the woods')lol ;)

This one might go beyond a 'Bipolar Moment'....

Kinda funny (as a side note though)... Tonight at the gas station... the car beside us was 'interesting' to say the least. (the folks in the lincoln are from Athol...or as we like to call it RatholE).

A rather 'husky' A-A 'girl' was putting gas in a Lincoln Town Car... When her 'friend' a rather skinny A-A with a rather feminen walk strolls around the side of the car with a bottle of power steering fluid to put into the car. They start arguing somewhat about how much to put in. "Hey save some of that I gotta bring my kid to school in the morning".

They argue a little more on the subject the dude only put in a little, starts the car and turns the wheel side to side.

I'm laughing and so is my uncle... So my uncle says to them "Don't ya' think it would be cheaper just to fix the power steering than to just p^ss the fluid allover the place???" To which the 'girl' says "Whada I care...It ain't my car!"

...And her friend with the rather light in the loafers' walk just had to get in his $.02...."I may bees a b^tch...But at leasts I know..."

....We couldn't stop laughing even five miles down the road on that one! ;)

But keep in mind... The Hess gas station on Pearson Blvd in G-Vegas is always good for a laugh anyway. My uncle pointed out the banner on the fence...right after the Town Car.

"I know...But hey...Whada ya want...this is G-Vegas, anything goes!"

(Originally)When I saw the banner (below) I couldn't help it... I walked up to the cashier (Kevin a kid I know) and asked "So I buy one of them throttle drinks??? Whose Mother do I get...Yours???"

He looked at me a little funny and started laughing. The banner has been up for about three weeks now. Good public image for Coca-Cola...

I know (WEB)this is probably gonna 'light the fuse' (on a certain personal hygine product designed for the female persuasion)...BUT:

Do you think this banner was 'outsourced'...and was perhaps 'Made In China'???

"Ingrish So Hahhd to runderstand...Rich retter do use in dare"
Only in America! "Living in America..."

Can you say "Hooked on Phonics' wurks 4 me???"... ROFLMMFAO!! ;)

Attachments

• IM003897.JPG
    IM003897.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 526
no i don't think the banner was outsourced but rather it shows the intelligence level of some of the people in your area ( banners are made at the local distribution facility )

btw how many languages do you speak? I can assure you – their “Ingrish” is much better than your Chinese :sigh:

You won't win with one of those locking covers if she is at all resourceful. GSA used to have those damned things on our outlying Customs Ports and run the heat way down before the guy went home at the end of the day. While some of us would sit and freeze in the wee hours of the midnight shift when your body temp drops, the more resourceful among us like me had our ways. Mine was a tiny long bladed screw driver that I used to roll the stat to where I wanted it. Others got pissed and popped it a time or two with the fire extinguisher or tossed a bag of ice on top of the stat. He never could figure how it got so warm in the building when he came in at 6 am but I for one sure didn't care a bit. I wasn't gonna freeze my tuckus off all night.
Get the dummy stat. Mine knows where the furnace switch is all too well. I agree with the bill idea too. At 27 she can chip in or put some damned clothes on. Mine does the same darned thing at 16. She is just going out the door and howling like hell about not wanting to take my old Z 24 because the AC doesn't work. I never had ac in a car till I was nearly 50 and still don't 9/10 of the time while she has the magic car that the gas tank never gets empty, the insurance is paid for and I ended up paying for........................................................ It never ends

my programable stat has 4 periods a day, even if you change the heat level it resets as soon as the next period starts.

There are password protected setback thermostats. One of my guys just installed one at work. I thnk it cost $60. I'll find out the make and model and get post again.

Freebird 77,
Check out the Robert Shaw Model 9725i thermostat at Grainger.com or elsewhere.

Semipro.

---
I am as green to burning wood as the wood I have been told not to burn.

My thoughts exactly. My returns are both in perfect places to pick up the warm air from my stove except that I haven't found/figured out a way to set the t-stat to switch on but not engage the HP (furnace, etc.) and just blow air until it's reached the setpoint. In effect, I want to be able to use my stove as the heat source instead of the condenser but use the blower to distribute the warm air. For now, I have to physically go over and set hot/cold/off to "off" and the fan from auto to "on". Is there no thermostat that has "auto" and "fan only" as an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.