Progress Hybrid Officially Approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yippie!!!!

Now they can get busy designing the new Keystone II with a 3.5 cu ft firebox... ;)

Bill

leeave96 said:
Yippie!!!!

Now they can get busy designing the new Keystone II with a 3.5 cu ft firebox... ;)

Bill

It'll weigh close to a 1,000 lbs, though...

Thanks for the heads up, Waulie! Hyperventilating has commenced :cheese:

Hollow, lots of folks will be dancing over this news....including the folks at Woodstock.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hollow, lots of folks will be dancing over this news....including the folks at Woodstock.

I bet they are! There's a certain amount of jigging going on in NY too. There's probably a very confused Riechter scale/seismic detection machine somewhere :p

leeave96 said:
Yippie!!!!

Bill

Hold
Backwoods promised me they were working on my soapstone cat boxwood style stove!
Okay wheel

Hold on Stump! It may take a while before that comes into being.

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, did you pull the trigger on one?

Haven't been lurking around much lately.
Hope all is well with You and Your Family. :)

Hiram

Very nice clearance requirements. This stove is the first woodstock to actually fit in a normal stove hearth.

Great job WS!

Hiram Maxim said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hiram

Hiram, we do have a deposit on one. Thank you and all is well as we hope it is with you and your family.

Hiram Maxim said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hiram

I think you need one Hiram. You never can have too much warmth. LOL %-P

BeGreen said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hiram

I think you need one Hiram. You never can have too much warmth. LOL %-P

I'll take two!

Backwoods Savage said:

half the size half the time no?
Gosh id really have to work hard to convince the wife to let me go for it. but i wouldn't stop till I could.

Mine is supposed to be ready tomorrow at 12:01 pm! I'll be there to pick it up. I'm pretty excited since I haven't had any heat since I sold my old 1975 Defiant in September. The hearth is set and the new 6" Supaflu liner is installed, all I have to do is put the stove in place and connect the pipe.

The great news is I will have heat from a great stove! The bad news is, once I connect the pipe, I have to leave to go out of town for Thanksgiving and I won't be back until Sunday, which means I will have to wait to get the PH going. Like a little kid on Christmas Eve, I don't want to wait!

dpgoalie said:
Mine is supposed to be ready tomorrow at 12:01 pm! I'll be there to pick it up. I'm pretty excited since I haven't had any heat since I sold my old 1975 Defiant in September. The hearth is set and the new 6" Supaflu liner is installed, all I have to do is put the stove in place and connect the pipe.

The great news is I will have heat from a great stove! The bad news is, once I connect the pipe, I have to leave to go out of town for Thanksgiving and I won't be back until Sunday, which means I will have to wait to get the PH going. Like a little kid on Christmas Eve, I don't want to wait!

That is too cruel by half! Mine is shipping next week and I will have to hold off running her until I get an ash lip, as my hearth is only rvalue .41. Is your hearth .8 or are you going to run her anyway? If you have time, pics would be nice :cheese:

HollowHill said:
dpgoalie said:

That is too cruel by half! Mine is shipping next week and I will have to hold off running her until I get an ash lip, as my hearth is only rvalue .41. Is your hearth .8 or are you going to run her anyway? If you have time, pics would be nice :cheese:

I'm not sure what my r value is. I'm guessing it's close to .8. I have a full 2 inch of brick, plus 3/4" of mortar under that. My Defiant ran 24/7 from October until April and it's clearances called for 36" on every side. My set up wasn't even close to this and that stove burned for 32 years. Since the PH is much smaller and has way better clearances than the Defiant, it's my guess that all will be good.

I will post pictures.

dpgoalie said:

Your going to like that Supaflu, mine is sucking like a hoover, much better draft than my old 5.5" flex liner. Too bad your leaving town, if I was closer I'd come over and break it in for ya.

Todd said:
dpgoalie said:

Your going to like that Supaflu, mine is sucking like a hoover, much better draft than my old 5.5" flex liner. Too bad your leaving town, if I was closer I'd come over and break it in for ya.

That's a great offer! But the dogs will be guarding the stove while I'm out!

dpgoalie said:
HollowHill said:
dpgoalie said:

I'm not sure what my r value is. I'm guessing it's close to .8. I have a full 2 inch of brick, plus 3/4" of mortar under that. My Defiant ran 24/7 from October until April and it's clearances called for 36" on every side. My set up wasn't even close to this and that stove burned for 32 years. Since the PH is much smaller and has way better clearances than the Defiant, it's my guess that all will be good.

I will post pictures.

According to WS blog, 2 1/4" of Common Brick has an r-value of .45 and a 1/2" of cement Mortar has an r-value of .025. yoiu definitely have higher r-value than mine, but not .8, you may want to get the ash lip which reduces the required r-value of the hearth from .8 to .4. I'm no expert on this stuff, tho, maybe some of them can chime in on this.

HollowHill said:
dpgoalie said:
HollowHill said:
dpgoalie said:

I will post pictures.

According to WS blog, 2 1/4" of Common Brick has an r-value of .45 and a 1/2" of cement Mortar has an r-value of .025. yoiu definitely have higher r-value than mine, but not .8, you may want to get the ash lip which reduces the required r-value of the hearth from .8 to .4. I'm no expert on this stuff, tho, maybe some of them can chime in on this.

I will be getting the ash lip. Even with it, sounds like my R value isn't enough....

dpgoalie and HollowHill, we hope you understand that we want feedback on how this stove is.

Backwoods Savage said:
dpgoalie and HollowHill, we hope you understand that we want feedback on how this stove is.

No problem. I will definitely keep you posted. It will answer many questions for those that have a drafty, 2,200 square foot farm house. My old 1975 Defiant kept the house warm even when it was below zero. If the PH can do the same, I will be impressed. I have my doubts though.

So what is the "required" R value for the Progress Hybrid A.K.A Firestorm lol.
Because I have just finished my hearthpad lastnight well just about still have to do the grout 66" x 66".
My current R rating is .435 thats durrock, mortar and 1/4" tile. Anybody know? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.