Progress Hybrid Officially Approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The handle is brass and it doesn’t match the stainless door handle.

Yikes. That sounds a bit goofy. Maybe they can provide a different bypass handle in the future? It seems pretty strange to have two completely different handles.

Waulie said:
The handle is brass and it doesn’t match the stainless door handle.

Yikes. That sounds a bit goofy. Maybe they can provide a different bypass handle in the future? It seems pretty strange to have two completely different handles.

+1. I found it jarring :long: Don't see why they are using brass with a grey soapstone. Didn't like the top lifter in brass, but thought, well, it's not too much, but now they're adding it to a very prominent place. Sure hope they come up with something different when they get some time...

I have to agree with you.
Looking at DP's posted photos, it looked like a 1 X 1 piece of wood attached as the damper handle.
Having said that, I have dealt with them and they are VERY caring about their customers. I suspect that this is a temporary fix in order to start shipping product.
They appear to have a pretty fair backlog of stoves and I'm sure they are just as anxious to ship as we are to receive them.
They have invested a good deal of resources and capitol in this stove and are looking to have a return on that investment.

ARE YOU LISTENING WOODSTOCK TEAM?

At the Woodstock Open House we saw the top lifter and almost everyone loved it then! My wife even tried to buy one. I thought it did look great too and I think folks will come to like it but only time will tell on that. I also much prefer it to the lifter that is on the Fireview and just dangled down in front.

Have to agree with the comments on the brass parts. That was the first thing that jarred my eyes when I saw dpgoalie's pictures. It looks like an afterthought and is incongruous with the fit and finish of the stove. The metal should match the other components or be black.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, you can always paint it if you don't like it.

That was my thought too. I'm a stickler for details so I probably would end up eventually painting it or having it nickel plated.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, you can always paint it if you don’t like it.

Yeah, it's really not a big deal. It's just a head-scratcher is all.

Todd said:
I don't think it's that big of a deal, you can always paint it if you don't like it.

Yup, that's my plan.

BeGreen said:
Have to agree with the comments on the brass parts. That was the first thing that jarred my eyes when I saw dpgoalie's pictures. It looks like an afterthought and is incongruous with the fit and finish of the stove. The metal should match the other components or be black.

I was very disappointed when I got to the factory to pick up the stove and saw that handle on it. Tom explained that during the EPA testing the push - pull mechanism they had originally would get too hot and stick. It wouldn't operate at super high temperatures. So they redesigned it to a turning mechanism. At the shop the consensus seemed to be that they liked the original handle but it would have hung down in front of the glass if they tried to use something similar with the turning mechanism. So in order to not obstruct the view they went with the current handle. I have a feeling it will change. The brass is nice with the black iron, but it's weird to look at when it doesn't match the other one. Woodstock really is about customer service and making their customers happy, I have no doubt that if this is a common opinion, they will change it or offer something else.

I still think it looks unfinished compared to the really nice stainless door handle that is only a foot away.

Either way, it certainly wasn't a deal breaker and I can certainly live with it......

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 486
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 482
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 484
Backwoods Savage said:
At the Woodstock Open House we saw the top lifter and almost everyone loved it then! My wife even tried to buy one. I thought it did look great too and I think folks will come to like it but only time will tell on that. I also much prefer it to the lifter that is on the Fireview and just dangled down in front.

I always wondered about the top lift handle. Cant open when theres fire, why have it? To me it looks like an earring dangling there, stove jewlery. I just took it off and minus the tab still there (needed to lift) looks good i think.

Now why go through the nice coil handle, yet the dampner is just a cast tab, and the bypass looks as if it came off an arcade machine circa 1987. At least the fireviews controls are hidden...still the progess looks very nice.

Can you see the cat at all? Tell if its glowing? Does the inconel screen glow?

Thanks for the close ups.

Well, I have to say that while not a deal breaker or a huge deal, I do find that handle to be shockingly ugly. Painting it may in fact be like putting lipstick on a pig. It has to change. Head-scratching indeed...

Two questions for you:

1. Your performance so far seems great. What size/type/height flue are you hooked up to?

2. How did you manage to get your stove so quick? I still haven't heard a peep from them. Are you a squeeky wheel? ;-)

Thanks!

Waulie said:
Thanks for the close ups.

Well, I have to say that while not a deal breaker or a huge deal, I do find that handle to be shockingly ugly. Painting it may in fact be like putting lipstick on a pig. It has to change. Head-scratching indeed...

Two questions for you:

1. Your performance so far seems great. What size/type/height flue are you hooked up to?

2. How did you manage to get your stove so quick? I still haven't heard a peep from them. Are you a squeeky wheel? ;-)

Thanks!

I won't paint the handle. I will wait until something else comes out or just think about it for a while.

I have a 27 foot, 6 inch Supaflu. I'm so glad I went with it as opposed to stainless for sooo many reasons.

Within a few minutes of Woodstock declaring that they were taking orders on the PH, I called and reserved one. As far as a squeaky wheel, nah. I don't know anyone at the company, just one of the first ones to order and I was willing and able to pick it up. As a matter of fact, they were still painting and putting it together when I got there. I stood there and watched them work on it.

Give them a call and ask for an estimated time of arrival. Heck, maybe they will have a new handle by that time.

Stump_Branch said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I always wondered about the top lift handle. Cant open when theres fire, why have it? To me it looks like an earring dangling there, stove jewlery. I just took it off and minus the tab still there (needed to lift) looks good i think.

Now why go through the nice coil handle, yet the dampner is just a cast tab, and the bypass looks as if it came off an arcade machine circa 1987. At least the fireviews controls are hidden...still the progess looks very nice.

My wife just looked at the latest pictures and she agrees with me that it does look good. At least we like it but understand that others do not. I have no doubt they will consider changing it if too many are not liking it. I would also ask everyone who says they don't like it to ask their wives. It might be interesting to see if they do or don't like it....without your persuading otherwise!

As for opening the top lid when there is a fire, absolutely not! You would get a big face full of smoke because that is where the smoke goes before exiting into the flue. Why have it? You can open the top lid to clean the cat. That is how it is done with the Fireview and the Progress. No, you won't see the cat in the Progress; you'll see the secondaries.

Anyway, I'll be talking to Woodstock about that handle for sure.

What I don't understand is why they had to change the outer mechanism at all. Why couldn't they have just left the ring as it was and instead of pushing and pulling it, just turn it? So, in other words, when the ring is horizontal, the cat is not engaged and when the ring is vertical, it is engaged, or some such paradigm. Could still use the nifty tool to do this or by gloved hand. I really liked the matching rings between the door and the cat bypass, both in stainless. Oh, and I am the wife :smirk:

Backwoods Savage said:
Stump_Branch said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My wife just looked at the latest pictures and she agrees with me that it does look good. At least we like it but understand that others do not. I have no doubt they will consider changing it if too many are not liking it. I would also ask everyone who says they don't like it to ask their wives. It might be interesting to see if they do or don't like it....without your persuading otherwise!

As for opening the top lid when there is a fire, absolutely not! You would get a big face full of smoke because that is where the smoke goes before exiting into the flue. Why have it? You can open the top lid to clean the cat. That is how it is done with the Fireview and the Progress. No, you won't see the cat in the Progress; you'll see the secondaries.

Anyway, I'll be talking to Woodstock about that handle for sure.

My girlfriend likes the handle but says it doesn't go with the stove and she thinks it should match the door handle. My 16 year old loves it and says the door handle would be nice if it were brass, but wouldn't necessarily change anything.

I really like the look of the top lift handle!

As for opening the top lid when there is a fire, absolutely not!

I should have specified. I don't mind the lid handle too much. I probably wouldn't have picked brass but it's okay. I was talking about the bypass handle. It does look like something from an 80s video game. It just doesn't fit the nice looks of the rest of the stove. I think it's pretty clear they were surprised by needing to change it at the last minute and had to come up with something . I'm sure they'll probably change it in the future. I just hope all the added costs of future changes/upgrades don't negate the savings related to all the delays and stress associated with pre-ordering.

Obviously, I can't argue with the preliminary results!

I have a 27 foot, 6 inch Supaflu. I’m so glad I went with it as opposed to stainless for sooo many reasons.

Nice! I bet your draft could suck start a leaf blower.

Waulie said:
I have a 27 foot, 6 inch Supaflu. I’m so glad I went with it as opposed to stainless for sooo many reasons.

Nice! I bet your draft could suck start a leaf blower.

And it's located in the center of the house.

BeGreen said:
Thanks for the close ups dp. It looks like 1/2" brass hex stock that has been drilled and tapped. If so, it would be easy to replace with stainless or nickel hex or round bar stock.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=354&step=4&showunits=inches&id=12&top_cat=1

I actually thought of putting a stainless hex one on the stove, but it would still look industrial compared to the door handle.... It will eventually come to me....I will sit back and take it all in before I make any changes.

dpgoalie said:
BeGreen said:
Thanks for the close ups dp. It looks like 1/2" brass hex stock that has been drilled and tapped. If so, it would be easy to replace with stainless or nickel hex or round bar stock.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=354&step=4&showunits=inches&id=12&top_cat=1

I actually thought of putting a stainless hex one on the stove, but it would still look industrial compared to the door handle.... It will eventually come to me....I will sit back and take it all in before I make any changes.

I bet if you order one and tell them "You know that gold thing that sticks out like a sore thumb? Yeah, paint that black for me, okay?" I bet they'd do it. Hell, you can get the cast iron custom painted if you request it. Why not the front handle?

BrowningBAR said:
dpgoalie said:
BeGreen said:

I bet if you order one and tell them to "You know that gold thing that sticks out like a sore thumb? Yeah, paint that black for me, okay?" I bet they'd do it. Hell, you can get the cast iron custom painted if you request it. Why not the front handle?

Excellent suggestion, BBAR. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

HollowHill said:
BrowningBAR said:
dpgoalie said:
BeGreen said:

I bet if you order one and tell them to "You know that gold thing that sticks out like a sore thumb? Yeah, paint that black for me, okay?" I bet they'd do it. Hell, you can get the cast iron custom painted if you request it. Why not the front handle?

You might want to phrase it a little differently than how I stated it... :lol:

BrowningBAR said:
HollowHill said:
BrowningBAR said:
dpgoalie said:
BeGreen said:

You might want to phrase it a little differently than how I stated it... :lol:

Dang! Tact not my forte. Lack of people skills is why I work with computers :-/ At home... alone :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.