Progress Hybrid Performance Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
The weather is starting to warm up in western North Carolina and I decided to clean the Progress Hybrid and the chimney today.

I had about 2/3rd's gallon of creosote this year as compared to just over 1/2 gallon last year. I burned 3 1/2 cords of wood this year which is about the same as last year. The only change I made was that I burned about 2/3rd's cord of hemlock versus all hard wood last year. I continue to be very pleased with the stove's performance. The house was warm even on those -6 degree mornings. I plan on ordering and replacing the door gasket this summer. It seems like it is not sealing as well. The stove has now paid for itself in just two seasons. I haven't bought any propane ;)! I sure do love having a warm house and saving about $2,000 each year on propane.

Reactions: rideau
How did your average temps compare with last year? Enough different to expect a difference in creosote formation, or do you think it was just the hemlock?
Do you get most accumulation near the stove or near the top (if you know)?
Is the residue you are getting powdery? Brown?

We're going to be 5 F tomorrow and the next night, predicted cold for the next two to three weeks. I envy you the Spring weather. I hear from my nephew in NC that it was quite warm today.

Just curious, does your stove have an outside air intake?

I'm going to order some door gasket too, I might order another cat so if I have the clogging problem next year I can switch out quickly and take my time cleaning the cat.

How did your average temps compare with last year? Enough different to expect a difference in creosote formation, or do you think it was just the hemlock?
Do you get most accumulation near the stove or near the top (if you know)?
Is the residue you are getting powdery? Brown?

We're going to be 5 F tomorrow and the next night, predicted cold for the next two to three weeks. I envy you the Spring weather. I hear from my nephew in NC that it was quite warm today.
Rideau, our temps this year were very similar to last year but we did not have as much snow. There were a number of areas of creosote formation: the stove pipe, initially in the chimney, and closer to the top of the chimney (the total length is about 15 feet). I don't know if burning the hemlock had any relation whatsoever to the increased creosote buildup. I do enjoy burning the hemlock in the shoulder season. It burns hot and goes out quickly, just giving us enough heat to warm the house up quickly.

I'm going to order some door gasket too, I might order another cat so if I have the clogging problem next year I can switch out quickly and take my time cleaning the cat.
Have you tried using a can of compressed air (used for cleaning computers)? It works great and isn't strong enough to damage the cat. I can clean the cat on my stove in about 5 minutes.

How often are you having to clean your cat? How much paper are you using to start your stove? I personally find that the more paper that is used to start the fire, the more ash I have in the cat.

I am thinking about the 3 1/2 cords...my stove is in a 1850 un-insulated house 1,800 sf in northern CT and is the only heat used. First year with this stove, stoked all of the time. We have used maybe, 2 cords if that. (still amazes me) I know that without the OAK it was extremely drafty, once installed the drafts went away and the house was warmer.

I am thinking about the 3 1/2 cords...my stove is in a 1850 un-insulated house 1,800 sf in northern CT and is the only heat used. First year with this stove, stoked all of the time. We have used maybe, 2 cords if that. (still amazes me) I know that without the OAK it was extremely drafty, once installed the drafts went away and the house was warmer.
Very interesting...never heard of such a big change with the OAK and not having it causing so much draftiness in the house. Always thought it was just something you added if your house was tight; didn't know it could decrease the sensation of draftiness in the house.

Theoretically with a OAK the stove does not have to pull fresh air from distant leaky sources so it should cut down on draft - but I never heard anybody actually say it worked quite that well.Glad to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.